Gmc jimmy rear brake pads

Old 03-23-14, 10:48 AM
Gmc jimmy rear brake pads

Just replaced rear brake pads and right side rotor on my 2000 gmc jimmy and I noticed the right sides were worn down to the rivets and the left side was only worn about half way. No leaks that I could see and I compressed the caliper and pumped tha brakes and they both seem to work. Road test seemed fine, but does the uneven wear indicate a big problem and if so what might it be? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 11:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually that's a sign of either a bad caliper or collapsing brake hose.

Old 03-23-14, 11:13 AM
Did you lube the sliders? If they hang up it will wear unevenly.

Old 03-23-14, 11:23 AM
Not sure I understand what the sliders are? I did clean up the spring like clips that hold the pads and I tested the calipers to be sure they were not stuck

Old 03-23-14, 11:26 AM
If the caliper doesn't leak and it seems to work when I pump the pedal is there a better way to test it? Also if the brake hose is collapsing should I be able to see that or just change it as a precaution? That could be it.

Old 03-23-14, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Everytime I've replaced the caliper first, it wound up being the brake hose. You can't tell by looking it at but the inside of an old worn brake hose can collapse without any outward sign. I've never messed with rear disc brakes so I don't know if they have a hose or just a hard line like drum brakes do.

Old 03-23-14, 12:18 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm going to replace the brake hose. That sounds like a real possibility.

Old 03-24-14, 10:07 AM
Some extra wear on right side components is not un-expected . In dry weather , the right side is exposed to more dirt and dust ( especially if you crowd the shoulder of the road ) . In wet weather , the right side is exposed to more water and mud .

This applies to both front and back & to other components , beside brakes . But I am not saying it is what caused the additional brake wear you described ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 03-24-14, 08:34 PM
1. caliper is not sliding on guides. That's what "sliders" are. Guide pinsd must be pulled out and lubricated with caliper grease. Same goes for any part that touches brake pads, should it be so well described "spring looking things" or even area where caliper piston touches pad.
2. you have sticky caliper or hydraulic line is obstructive, for any reasons. Collapsed or not.
3. you replaced right side (whatever that is) as I know pass and driver sides, rotor, right? left side had worn out pads? Is rotor on the left side blue-ish or yellow-ish in tint? As if yes, that's you clear sign of rotor being over heated with read #2.

Search this Thread