DIY vs dealer

Old 03-25-14, 06:02 PM
DIY vs dealer

I am at cross roads.

I have 09 Ridgeline with only 53K miles, that needs valves adjusted, as in - rockers on valves. It's manually adjustable, bless Honda.
I have buddy who is good with doing this. And he's a friend.
Labor involves taking air intake plenum off, and all that. It's a 3.5L transverse V6, y'all know how goes it on those, esp for Japanese car.
Dealer charges for the same job amount that is very acceptable to me. 3 hrs and car is done. But I won't be able to "supervise" the job.

I'd rather have it done asap, but to do it with buddy will be few months away due to cold weather outside. We could do it in garage, but...

Dealer or buddy? I have inherent fear of letting others work on my cars. But then again, we may mess it up too.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Igor, I know you don't like the word "dealer", but a man's gotta know his limitations. Plus the work would carry some sort of workers warranty at the dealer.

Old 03-25-14, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
But I won't be able to "supervise" the job.
I'm the same exact way but I think I'd let the dealer handle that one.
Three hours seems like a real fair estimate too.

Old 03-25-14, 06:55 PM
Well, it's 2.3 hr warranty repair and 3 hr non warranty. Truck is still under warranty, but they do not want to consider noise, that I do not feel is normal, as something that can be warranted.
Same time, one of our guys at Ridgeline Owners Club posted videos of before and after valves adjustments, with excellent result.
We talking engine vibration here. Then it kicks into steering and into my hands. Additives did the trick, but only partially.
I say, "people spoke". Dealer it is. Maybe I'll sneak in somehow. I can band some, but I'll feel much better seeing how it's done.
Thanks, fellow DIY-ers.

Old 03-25-14, 06:59 PM
Old 03-25-14, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
The cup is clearly placed at two different locations on the plastic cover. That would affect the vibration test IMO.

Additionally the engine clearly sounds like its at two different RPM's during this test. Higher RPM's with the cup of water vibrating the most...

I would take that test with a grain of salt...

Last IMO I would do the work myself... I would do it a weekend with a few beverages and some cool tunes.... A few buddys..etc...

Its very simple, but I can see where some may not have the patience...

I dont spend money if I can turn the wrenches myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqMYMskOQQQ#t=274

Old 03-26-14, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I succumbed to taking my Cummins to a shop once. Injector pump died. Not a cheap item ($1k). It was February, cold, drizzling. I had the pump in hand and had watched all the videos, so I knew I could do it. Called my shop guy up to ask how much he would charge. $250......sold. I got a guaranteed running truck in one day, whereas it would have taken me a week, with questionable results.

Old 03-26-14, 07:25 PM
Yep. Few hundred bucks is not that much as warranted repair.