1999 Chrycler LHS 3.5 L - A/C

Old 03-30-14, 06:00 AM
1999 Chrycler LHS 3.5 L - A/C

Last summer , I helped a cousin replace o-rings on the lines , at the compressor and tried to replace the Schrader Valves at the service ports . The Schrader Valve are medium size , not the small ones , like those in tire / wheel valve stems .

We could not find replacement Schrader Valves . We vacuumed the system down and recharged with R-134a , by weight .

It leaked back down in about 3 days .

Friday , we started working on it again . Removed the compressor an my cousin bought a new one at O'Reilly Auto Parts . Found o-rings and Schrader valves at NAPA . The compressor does not come with the high / low pressure manifold . Replaced the Schrader valves , at the manifold , and the new gasket ( that came with the compressor ) between the compressor and the manifold .

All the while , we were looking for oil leaks , any where on the parts of the A/C system . That we could see & trace down . There was no oil in then old compressor . Added 5 ounces of PAG 46 .

Installed the compressor and 2 new belts . Installed the 2 refrigerant lines with the new o-rings .

Vacuumed the system down for 2 hours , to about 29 mm of mercury . Gassed it back up with R-134a . At about 50 - 60 mph , vent discharge temp was around 45 F . Very pleased with that , but still concerned about leaks . But only time will tell .

God bless
Wyr

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-14, 10:01 PM
IF no other Obvious leake are found, & it is Still loosing refrigerant, I would suspect the Evaporator.
Look for oil at the evaporator drin, or at the seam of the Evap case.

Old 04-02-14, 12:33 AM
That makes sense .

We followed the lines from the compressor to the condenser , from there back to the fire wall and across , from the passenger side , until about the middle of the firewall . At that point , the line disappeared behind some plastic air ducting , going to the intake manifold . I suspect , some where back there , it hits an expansion valve and the evaporator ? No evidence of oil leak .

At the compressor , going back the other way , we found the accumulator and from there , the line going to the evaporator . Saw no leaks along that route , either .

I doubt , however , if my cousin would go so far as to try to replace the evaporator , himself ( he is having some health issues ) .

The car is high mileage & every thing I have seen about it is difficult to very difficult to get to / work on . :-(

He would probably get rid of the car and get something else to drive . Would probably cost more $$$ than the car is worth , to take it to a shop and have the repair done .

Thanks ,
Wyr

Old 04-03-14, 03:21 AM
Well , it took a little over 2 days and the refrigerant leaked down . :-(

The oil we put into the new compressor contains UV dye . My cousin tried looking for the leak with my UV pen lite flashlight . No luck .

One of our guess is the junction between the evaporator flange and the expansion valve . But we can not see it ?

Of course , the leak could be on the bottom side of several lines / hoses . Where we can not see it ?

God bless
Wyr