windshield washer

Old 03-31-14, 06:57 PM
windshield washer

so I live in aurora co and when I went to fill the windshield washer container I noticed the fluid started to leak from just behind the wheel well. winter is almost over and I am sure that something has frozen and the cracked, but what would it be? And How do I get to it? And Is there windshield washer fluid that doesn't freeze?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-14, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Better grades of washer fluid are rated for lower temperatures as long as they aren't diluted.
The freezing point is usually marked clearly on the bottle.

Your problem may be as simple as a disconnected rubber hose on the tank or on the pump which is usually attached to the bottom of the tank. Most tanks come out fairly easy unless it's buried under the climate control system or behind the battery. Look at the top of the tank for fastening bolts

What's the make, model and year of the vehicle ?

Old 03-31-14, 07:27 PM
its a honda cdv 2006, I can see the bolts you are talking about. Do I just take those out and then the tank will "pop" out?

Old 03-31-14, 08:02 PM
Normal WWF is rated only to 20 degrees. Then it freezes just like any toher fluid and EXPANDS.
Take WWF canister out. Locate leak/crack. Take crack to grinder and carve deep "trench" along it, overlapping maybe an inch both ways if possible. Degrease with denaturate. Mix JB Weld and seal it. Be happy.

Old 03-31-14, 08:16 PM
so it sounds like this fix will be self explanatory once I remove the WWF bolts, right?

Old 03-31-14, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Exactly. Usually once you remove the bolts you'll just pull up on the tank. It may have brackets underneath that are in rubber. Those brackets will just slide out.

Old 04-01-14, 06:06 PM
And brackets are normally where it cracks. Unless hit directly somewhere else. Or around the tube nipple.

Search this Thread