'98 Suburban fuel level sender wiring...

Old 04-05-14, 11:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'98 Suburban fuel level sender wiring...

Got another one, friends. Am looking at checking on a Suburban for a guy that the fuel gauge doesn't work on. I would like to eliminate the gauge as the problem before I drop the tank. So, first, which are the wires for the sender at the tank connector? And, second, will I be able to get to the connector without dropping the tank first? I know if I jump the wires to the sender (with key on) and the gauge jumps to past full, the gauge is most likely not at fault, right? I guess, third, if I knew the resistance range for the sender and substituted resistors of those values (high and low) instead of using a straight jumper, I should see empty and full on the gauge? Trying to save the guy some money here; I think his wife is resigned to taking this 16-year-old truck to the dealer and paying their labor rate - can't see why. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Old 04-05-14, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,054 Upvotes on 3,637 Posts
In the first pic is what the plug should look like. You should be able to access this plug without removing the tank.

Name:  sub.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  22.2 KB

In this second pic shows what should be the wiring.

Name:  98.JPG
Views: 1059
Size:  30.2 KB

The sending unit's design is basically a ceramic wiper board with 2 small spring steel brushes that move back and forth across it's surface, varying the resistance from 40 ohms empty to 240 ohms full. What fails is the spring steel brushes. Supposedly the additives in the fuel kill them.

Old 04-05-14, 11:09 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
is fuel gauge stuck on empty or full?single tank?

Last edited by autojoe; 04-05-14 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-06-14, 08:28 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
theres ways to check this circuit.the sender feeds into the vcm both signal and sensor ground and vcm sends a signal to the instrument cluster.no need to introduce resistance into circuit.need to test the 2 wires from sender to vcm.purple and black wires a&d at connector.connector sits on top of tank.need to backprobe or tpin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: