Hydraulic Jack Recommendations

Old 04-08-14, 07:00 PM
Hydraulic Jack Recommendations

I purchased a 3000 lb aluminum "racing jack" from HF a year ago and although I love how fast it raises, it just lowers too quickly. Even if I am extremely careful about it, the weight of the vehicle pushes it down too quickly. I'm looking for something about the same size and capacity but obviously want a jack that lowers the vehicle slowly. The jack will be used on both my wife's car and my Tundra pickup, so low profile is desirable and a lift height of greater than 20" would be nice as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-14, 05:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All floor jacks have the capability of lowering the vehicle fast. To lower it slow you need to just crack the valve [barely turn the handle] I have a 2.5 ton HF freight jack that I bought 25+ yrs ago that I've been well pleased with. It did die on me last year but I rebuilt it.

Old 04-09-14, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
I have a long stroke hydraulic cylinder on a hand truck fork lift I made years ago. It too would drop quickly with a heavy load. The tiny knob did not allow fine control. It had to be snugged closed to prevent the jack from creeping down and when the knob broke free opening I usually went too far and into fast mode. I ended up making a new handle with a nice long arm, actually just welded a long bolt onto the old knob. It provides a lot more leverage and fine control and slightly cracking the valve open is now very easy.

Old 04-09-14, 07:49 AM
All floor jacks have the capability of lowering the vehicle fast. To lower it slow you need to just crack the valve [barely turn the handle]
That's exactly what I'm doing and it comes crashing down. There's no in-between.

I ended up making a new handle with a nice long arm, actually just welded a long bolt onto the old knob. It provides a lot more leverage and fine control and slightly cracking the valve open is now very easy.
Would you mind elaborating a bit? The jack already has 3 to 4 foot arm on it. Perhaps there's a way to open the release valve more gradually without the arm attached.

Old 04-09-14, 11:34 AM
i believe the one i have is a kobalt (lowes) hydraulic jack. it has a slow-release mechanism that works quite well.