Windstar control arms

Old 04-09-14, 02:15 PM
Windstar control arms

I need to replace the lower control arms in my 2001 Windstar. Do you need to remove the struts to do this?

Another question, to replace the inner tie rod end on the right side do you need to remove the steering rack, or just what is necessary to get to the boot around the tie rod?

Is there an online manual somewhere?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-14, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
If you sign up for Autozone they have a lot of online help for registered members.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to touch the struts when replacing the lower control arms. I helped a friend a while back do his.

Can't help you on the tie rod end.

Old 04-09-14, 08:01 PM
The strut does not need to be removed from the vehicle to replace the control arm.

And for the tie rod, do you need to replace the bellows boot or the actual tie rod? To replace the inner tierod you need to remove the outer tie rod (remember to count the amount of turns when taking it off for re- installation) and jam nut first then take the clamps off of the boot. I normally use a long screwdriver and hammer at the crimp point on the inner clamp on the rack. After that if you can get a pipe wrench on the inner portion of the inner tierod use that if not you will need an inner tierod tool to remove it. I dont know if autozone rents that tool or not. when installing the new inner tie rod i like to use lock tight on the inner threads.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29762[/ATTACH]

This is an inner tie rod too and attachments.

Also make sure to get an alignment after replacing the tie rod.

Old 04-09-14, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
This is an inner tie rod tool and attachments...... from swilmankski's picture.

Name:  3970412.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  8.2 KB

Old 04-16-14, 07:11 AM
I was having trouble getting the control arm separated from the lower ball joint when I asked the question of removing the strut. So with a lot more persuasion I got that joint separated and the control arms off the van and new ones put back on. On the drivers side the engine had to be raised to get the front bolt out and back in again. And it was a little challenge to get the bolts back in.

The tie rod was pretty simple, I used a tool like the one pictured (don't know how you could have done it otherwise). I was told you need to hold the rack when loosening the tie rod and tightening the tie rod. I saw no way to do that on the right side so I did it as gently as possible. I was also told you could wreck the rack by not holding the rack???? The right one is done now but I figured the left one might not be far behind failing so I took that side apart and found the flat where a wrench would hold the rack. I don't know of a wrench that you can borrow from the parts stores so I made one that would work. Using an adjustable wrench you can loosen it up and get it on the rack then adjust it so it fits tight on the rack. The handle is sort of short but a inch and a quarter pipe fits over handle. After I had it finished I said I should have welded a 1/2 inch drive end from a socket just above the adjusting screw and made an adjustable crows foot wrench.

Don't know what that wrench was made from, but it welded kind of funny. I am sure it was a high quality Chinese wrench though, ha.ha. On a warm day I will try it out, it's on the cool side now.

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-14, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
It welded "kind of funny" as it's a mix of metals. Probably someones old car in there

Very creative