91 Grand Marquis

Old 04-13-14, 09:26 AM
91 Grand Marquis

Poor car sat buried in snow so I didn't get to start it for almost 3 months, I usually start it monthly. Well, battery was about dead so I've been charging it. According to the charger is should be about charged now.

When I hit the key I just get a click from the starter relay on the fender. Been a hundred years but can't I jump the relay somehow? The small red top wire to the red from the battery or is it to the black wire going to the starter?

Not sure what those white wires and fuse is for, maybe for the trailer brakes?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-14, 09:52 AM
Are you sure the battery is charged? That the battery is still good?

Don't jump the relay, get another vehicle and jump start the car. See if the starter works then.

Old 04-13-14, 10:08 AM
I think so, it's only a few years old and the headlights are nice and bright now.

Old 04-13-14, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
.... and clean the battery terminals!

Old 04-13-14, 02:29 PM
.... and clean the battery terminals!

Now that you mention it that negative does look a little cruddy. They are tight but after golf I'll take them off, clean them up and add some dielectric grease.

Charger has been on since 10 this morning so battery should be good.

Old 04-23-14, 07:55 AM
Not sure what to think now. Few days ago I went to clean the terminals, thought I'd give it a try first. Click...click...vroom....started right up. I did notice with the two clicks from the relay the interior lights didn't dim like I would expect if the starter was trying to turn or a loose connection.

Posts and cables were clean and shiny and very tight. I did change the rusty bolt while I was there.

I have started it a half dozen times since, no problems.

So, guess I should drive it more than once or twice a year?

Old 04-23-14, 05:04 PM
OP, I am lost and confused. You did not EXPECT not to have battery/starting problems with all the junk on the terminals and battery poles?
And what is nice and shiny NOW? You said you went to clean them, but gave it a try before, so she started... So you cleaned them or not? Lubricated? Set red and green felt washers, soaked in grease, on poles? Sprayed over with battery sealant?

Old 04-24-14, 05:27 AM
If it "clicked" and the lights didn't dim (and the starter didn't turn) then you still have an intermittent problem.
Starter or solenoid.
You will need a meter on the 12V line from the solenoid to the starter so the next time it "clicks" and doesn't turn over you will know if the solenoid worked (12V to starter means it worked).

It would likely be easier, more time/cost efficient to change the solenoid so the next time it fails you will be quite assured that it is an intermittent starter.

Old 04-27-14, 04:55 AM
OP, I am lost and confused. You did not EXPECT not to have battery/starting problems with all the junk on the terminals and battery poles?

I know what I meant.

1) car started before I touched the cables and has since.

2) posts and cables were clean, shiny (inside) and tight, only that bolt was rusty. Replaced bolt.

Curious about something. Does that relay/solenoid on the fender always click and I just don't hear it when the starter is turning?

Thanks

Old 04-27-14, 06:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You only hear the solenoid click if it's unable to immediately forward the current to the starter.

Old 04-27-14, 06:17 AM
Okay, I best buy a new one then.

Thanks

Old 04-27-14, 07:50 AM
Does that relay/solenoid on the fender always click and I just don't hear it when the starter is turning?

This statement is correct .. it always clicks . (if it is working correctly)

A solenoid (relay) has 2 circuits in it.
1) The "primary" circuit which is energized by the ignition switch. This pulls the relay contacts together (click)
2) The relay contacts make the circuit allowing high current power to energize the starter (sometimes they don't make an electrical connection if worn or defective).

A good description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp8D99bIt3Y

Old 04-27-14, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I probably should have clarified, it does click but it's momentarily and I don't think you'd hear it if everything is working properly. The solenoid on my tractor is 6" from the starter button and I never hear it click unless there is an issue.

Before I'd replace the solenoid I'd make sure all the connections are clean, cables good and the battery fully charged.

Old 04-27-14, 02:57 PM
I probably should have clarified, it does click but it's momentarily and I don't think you'd hear it if everything is working properly.
I knew what you meant. I'm thinking a huge factor is it hardly ever gets driven, not a good thing.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-28-14, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd make a point to drive it more even if it's just to the store and back

Old 04-29-14, 07:33 PM
Those white wires are an add-on, and not original to that car. Turn your headlights on and stare at them as someone tries to start the car. If they dim considerably, batt is shot. If they don't dim when the key is turned, it's not the battery.

Get a voltage meter, check battery voltage. Have someone turn the key and check voltage on the starter side of the relay, to see if it's getting 12v to the start side of the relay. If it is, verify 12v at the starter cable on the starter. IF there is, pull starter, have tested at parts store, it's probably shot. No 12v on start side of solonoid while turning the key, solonoid is likely shot. Those ford solonoids rarely go out though, so it's "likely" not your problem

Old 04-30-14, 08:03 AM
....check voltage on the starter side of the relay, to see if it's getting 12v to the start side of the relay...
Wish I would have thought of that when it was misbehaving, starts every time now. I'll store that in the memory bank.

Thanks