95 olds 88 not shifting

Old 04-15-14, 08:01 AM
95 olds 88 not shifting

I have a 1995 olds 88 lss. When driving the car at 55+mph the check engine light comes on, occasionally the car stahls, and the car only operates in 2nd and 3rd gear. I have replaced the vss but it didnt fix it. This is a intermittent problem that comes and goes. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Westphalia

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-14, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
First I would find out what code(s) have been set. That may give you a clue. Operating in 2nd and 3rd gear is probably the "fail-safe" mode.

How many miles on the car?

Old 04-15-14, 05:07 PM
Car has 161k miles on it. I took it to autozone and their test said to replace the vss. I assume thats what you mean.

Old 04-16-14, 01:47 PM
Very interesting.
Every time I tried it here, aftermarket parts stores refused to read codes on pre-OBD2 vehicles. Their code readers runs only on OBD2 ones, 96 and later.
But, I know GM and Dodge had a few vehicles that were OBD2 before it was nationally implemented. Not sure if the plug was same, but you could use OBD2 scanner on them. Maybe yours is this way.
My honest suggestion is to find decent local shop and pay for complete diagnostic. They have special harnesses and plugs to connect to OBD1 systems.
Otherwise, it's blind guess. Limp mode, as TG mentioned, is quite possible.

Search this Thread