Old 04-20-14, 02:18 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1991 Caprice 5.0L Compressor Install

Name:  Sealing washers GM.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  32.8 KB

Replaced the original GM R4 compressor , today . It was a belly leaker .

It used o-rings to seal the lines to the compressor body .

The new R4 compressor uses sealing washers . I put the gold / brass / thin one on the suction line . Also came with red and green sealing washers for the high pressure line . I used the green / thick one . Did not use either the thick or thin insert ? Could not figure them out ?

Also replaced the accumulator dryer . It only came with one new o-ring . Had to re-use one of the old o-rings . :-( Should have went to the supply house then and there and purchased 2 new o-rings . But it was about to rain and I needed to get the system buttoned up and vacuumed down .

Vacuumed the system down & I have a leak . :-(

Used Nylog Blue on all o-rings and sealing washers .

I will try to get some new o-rings for the accumulator . Did I mess up on the sealing washers ? Should I have used the thick insert with the thick high side sealing washer ? One side has a " step " machined , to a little smaller diameter . Does the step go inside the end of the metal line ? Or towards the compressor ?

I have not put any refrigerant , into the system , yet . I used oil with UV die . May have to pressure up the system , enough to bring the compressor on . And use the UV lite to try to trace down the leak or leaks ?

What would be the chance the vacuum leak could be the new compressor shaft seal ? That it has not " seated " to the shaft , yet ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

Old 04-20-14, 06:17 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
God bless. It leaks somewhere else. Likely cracked ALUMINUM line that was backleaking onto the old compressor, making you think it's the comp.

Old 04-20-14, 11:02 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not saying you are wrong .

However , with the oil containing UV dye , and the UV lite , you could see a line of " leak " at the places where the different parts of the body of the compressor , were joined .

And , you are certainly correct , I probably do have leaks in other places , too . :-(

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: