oil pan gasket leak

Old 04-23-14, 06:40 AM
oil pan gasket leak

A while back I noticed the gunk around the seal where the oil pan meets the engine. I bought a new pan and had a shop swap it out for me. Now, I've shelved the vehicle for a few months while I saved up to do some other repairs. Fast forward to yesterday, I'm performing those repairs and lo, I see the gunk piled up around the oil pan. I thought I was burning oil all this time (149K miles, '03 Mazda Protege5). So the gasket is leaking... again. Or is it something else? A few years ago I bought Genuine Mazda silicone gasket stuff. I never opened the tube. Could I use that stuff or is it too old? It's maybe 5 years old. Anyway, I remember I couldn't pull the oil pan off myself (control arm is blocking it and I don't think I can pull off the control arm myself without an impact gun). Should I just explain everything to a shop, hand them my silicone and hope for the best or is there something else at play? I no longer live on the same coast as the first place that did that job.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 06:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't hand them the silicone. No more than you would hand a doctor a syringe filled with something. The main seal may be leaking, which is another project. If you don't think you can do it, just go to a recommended repair facility and tell them the history. A good mechanic wants to keep his reputation, so he will heed the past problems and make it right.

Old 04-23-14, 05:00 PM
Yeah, scratch that silicone.
You can lower entire crossmember to get oil pan off. But you need lift to do that. Well, you could on jack stands but..
Chandler is likely right though. Many areas ABOVE that gasket can leak DOWN onto it. You need to buy few cans of brake cleaner, get up on jacks, spray with brake cleaner to wash ALL crud off, maybe even take her to a local car wash and pressure wash underneath, then add some contrast dye to oil and shine black light under the hood and underneath the engine. Will show just fine. Valve cover gaskets, cheap fix, are notorious about dripping down onto block and pan.

Old 04-24-14, 05:22 PM
If it were the valve cover gasket, I would know that. But I'll take it to a place I suppose.

Old 04-24-14, 06:22 PM
So said I to my neighbor, when we were flipping 2000 ES300. I had it up on my lift, and CLEARLY pointed out to him leaking main seal and pan gasket.
So he took her to his buddy, who did rear valve cover gasket, as I did front myself.
Guess what? Washed under carriage, not a drip of oil ever since. And she was sitting for sale on my tarmac for good 4 weeks.