2007 impala noise

Old 04-25-14, 07:48 PM
Question 2007 impala noise

I am having rattling/vibration coming from, as best as I can tell, the left front of my car when going 20mph or so over rough pavement. when traveling at highway speed or speeds above 20-30 mph on smoother roads. If i hit a noticeable bump in the road or a speed bump there is usually no rattle just rougher roads at slow speed produce it. This has started after taking my car to the dealer for a 4 wheel alignment (perhaps just a coincidence?). I have been under the car numerous times trying to figure out whats loose checking tie rods, A frame bushings, shocks,springs motor mounts, rotating wheel/driveshaft checking for excessive play on both sides in front, exhaust, as well as the rear of car (sometimes its hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from). The noise is not always reproducible as far as severity or loudness but on certain roads close to my home it always apparent to some degree.so i have been very reluctant to take it back to a dealer and spend $$$ to be told that they cant detect any noise. I have been driving with this for a few months now figuring the condition to worsen enough to be very apparent to any mechanic but it been pretty much the same. Any ideas or suggestions on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-14, 08:14 PM
You didn't mention sway bar end links or strut mount bearings.

Old 04-26-14, 09:26 AM
I looked at the sway bars to see if the rubber bushings were okay I did not check the end links specifically. I did a visual of the struts but I'm not sure how to check the strut mount bearing. The strut rubber bushing appears to not be worn. Is there some other way to check this?

As a side note this all started after my alignment. When I got home and I was hearing the noise. I checked under the car a few days later and one of the rear right tie rod adjustment bolt was left loose so I tightened it and returned it to the dealer to recheck alignment thinking that was the fix. I came home and I was still hearing the noise so I decided to check under the car again and now the right tie rod bolt was left loose. I tightened it hoping that was the fix but no luck. Needless to say I wont ever use that dealer again. They did say that they adjusted the alignment as far as it could go and any further adjustment would need modification to the tie rods.

Old 04-26-14, 07:40 PM
W-body GM

Good Ole W-body GM. One of my favorite platforms. This a COMMON issue with this chassis. Typically the problem is either with the Strut, or the Strut mount. The strut mount is an assembly made of a plastic bearing (allows the whole assembly to turn), steel mounting plate, and rubber bushings. Pop the hood and check to make sure the Three nuts on top of the strut tower are tight (I've seen them loosen up over time). If they are, and you've checked the Sway bar bushings/Links, Tie rod jam nut, and tie rod knuckle nut (say that ten times fast). I would bet you either have a worn strut, or worn strut mount. Good struts can wear out anywhere between 50,000-80,000 miles. I try not to assume the last bit of work done on the car is related. very often that notion will have you chasing ghosts. Good Luck.

Also you mentioned they told you they couldn't adjust it any further? That car shouldn't NEED any adjustment outside the adjustment range it had when it rolled off the assembly line unless it was in a major collision. IMO it sounds like these guys may not be the right guys for the job. Still poor adjustment isn't likely to cause the noise your hearing.
Adam P.

Old 04-27-14, 02:56 PM
Thank you for the information. It appears the 3 nuts on either side are tight. The car has not been in any major accidents and has about 56k on it. How difficult is it to replace the mount and the strut? I have done repair work on cars over the years with basic tools ( no air tools) but I know there are some things better left to the "pro's" with the right equipment? Any idea other than disassembly to determine if a new mount vs a whole strut assembly is required? Also, is it recommended replacing both sides or just the suspected faulty side? Thank you

Old 04-27-14, 03:42 PM
Replacing the mount involves removing the strut assembly, which can effect your camber alignment angle. You would have to decompress the strut and disassemble it in order to replace the mount. You need a coil spring compression tool to compress the spring further and remove that mount. It can be dangerous as the spring will be under a lot of pressure. When you replace struts you want to do Both sides, the mounts however can be replaced individually. Unfortunately without dis-assembly, process of elimination is the only way. In other words if you are sure the other hard parts, bushings, and joints are good then the next best guess would be mounts or struts. Jack the front of the car up so the front wheels are dangling and recheck all those points (use jack-stands on the frame rails not the engine cradle). I like to use a pry bar between all body, and power-Train bushings as well, to check for noise or excessive play. That would be a good time to check those sway bar links REAL good. Even the slightest amount of play in those could cause the sound you hear.

They do make pre-assembled struts that include new mounts, and springs(they are expensive) but you wouldn't need any special tools. Again you would still want to have a pro check the alignment after words. I would recommend bringing it to a different reputable shop if you haven't already and get a second opinion.

Good Luck!

Old 04-27-14, 08:39 PM
thank you for the information!