Checking my 1998 Jeep front end/steering components for wear

Old 05-05-14, 09:08 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Checking my 1998 Jeep front end/steering components for wear

I've seen mechanics use something called a front end fork. However I don't know what they are looking for. I assume it's play in the various parts. I believe my jeep needs a new sway bar because if I hit a bump on a small curve I almost change lanes on the highway. Does anyone know of a video that shows how to check a front end? Maybe someone can advise me or post a link to a video. It doesn't have to be for a jeep but it would be nice. My mechanic of 15 years got sick and no longer does repairs. My town is small and not a lot of choices of mechanics. The ones that are here are expensive. I have tools and I am a printing press mechanic so I know how to use tools. The diagnosis is the problem! As always, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-14, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
I don't know of any vids [I'm sure there's one out there] but it isn't a difficult job. I'd suggest getting a Haynes repair manual - it should walk you thru it and help you with future repairs also.

Old 05-06-14, 10:57 AM
F
Dear Marksr, thanks so much. You know when I was a kid I used to build muscle cars I'm going back to the late 70's early 80"s. I also did all my own work on all of my cars I always referred to Haynes and "Motor" manuals. Thanks for the memory jog. Much appreciated.

Old 05-06-14, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 69 Posts
Jack one wheel off the ground at a time. Then move the wheel back and forth. Look for loose pitman or idler arms. Also tie rods.

Here is a pitman arm thats shot..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JLZlTC35OI

Old 05-06-14, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Old 05-06-14, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Old 05-06-14, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Note all videos below are reference only... Ignore any and all advertising for any specific businesses....

Old 05-06-14, 11:56 AM
P
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
Lawrosa is probably on the right track but let me add my 2 cents. I had a vehicle with a bad rear shock/strut. When I hit a bump, instead of absorbing the impact, the shock was solid and it just bounced the car around (not in a suspension kind of way but like a ball). I know of a spot coming off the highway where there was a curve and a pothole right in the middle. Whenever I came around it, hit the hole and the rear would bounce sideways. My tech showed me that if you push down on a corner of the car and it does not give a little (compress the shock) or that it bounces too many times, then that corner's shock/strut may be worn out. Check all four corners. Try it before you get too far into your suspension diagnosis.

Old 05-07-14, 07:26 AM
S
as soon as you said jeep and front end, the first thing i thought of was death wobble. google it, and see if that sounds like what you are experiencing.

Old 05-09-14, 06:21 PM
F
Thanks for the input lawrosa. We're you referring to photos or links to videos? The reaso why I ask is tha I dint see anything. I'm new to using the forums. Perhaps I'm missing something? Could you please post again or tell me how to find what you are referring to? Thanks!

Old 05-09-14, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Post # 4,5 and 6 are you tube videos I posted...

If you cant see them possibly you are not on a home computer???

Old 05-10-14, 03:28 AM
W
Doubt it is a sway bar . Most of the metal parts cause problems only if you hit something and bent them .

An exception , kind of , shocks / struts wear out . Look for signs of leaking hydraulic fluid and or dirt attracted to it .

And ball joints wear out . They are metal , too .

The rubber bushings and other parts wear out . That is where most of the rest of the wear shows up .

You have been given good info by the other folks .

I watch Wheeler Dealers . The mechanic on the show often puts a car on a lift and starts moving a wheel and its associated suspension parts , looking for worn parts . Even though most of the cars are non - US makes , same idea .

Watch a bunch of youtube videos . And , yes , by a book on your Jeep .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: