2003 Malibu A/C blowing fuse

Old 05-06-14, 12:08 PM
2003 Malibu A/C blowing fuse

I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu, 3.1 v-6, and every time the a/c comes on it blows the fuse. I disconnected the actual compressor and replaced the fuse and it does not happen (so it is not something else on the circuit). It blows the fuse after about 30 seconds. As the a/c compressor will be too expensive to fix, could it be anything else? Could it be the compressor clutch - but since it does run for 30 sec I don't think that is it - but I don't know? I know I am grabbing for straws here. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Just to be clear...what is the amperage of the fuse thats blowing? If it's low like 5-10 amps...it's probably just controlling a relay, so that would be the circuit to check.

If it's up in the 30 amp range..then yeah, it could be the compressor...actually, not the compressor, but the electromagnetic clutch, which is not all that expensive in comparison. Most (all?) clutches can be replaced.

Oops...never mind...the AZ schematic shows just a 10 amp fuse for the relay, but that also feeds the clutch.

(I was thinking of my issue where it was actually the blower fan that kept popping the small fuse.)

First...make sure you have the right amperage and type fuse. Then you'll need to measure the actual current draw. If the current is right at the edge, or you are using a slow blow fuse...very likely that it will blow after 30 sec or so. Could also be as the coil heats up it's drawing more current blowing the fuse. Likely the clutch coil or entire clutch needs replacing. The coil only runs about $40. The whole clutch is about $100

Old 05-07-14, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info. If I do replace the a/c clutch, can this be done while the a/c lines are still connected to the compressor or do I have to remove the compressor from the vehicle first? Is it better to replace the whole clutch assembly or just the coil? When it does work (for the first 30 secords or so and also once for about ten minutes before blowing) there are no growns or unusal noises from the compressor and cold air came out when it ran - can I take it from that that the compressor itself isn't the problem making the clutch blow some how? thanks.

Old 05-07-14, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
No Pro, so can't answer most of your questions. Some can be replaced w/o removing the hoses, some can't depending on location. Since it seems a purely electrical issue you could probably just do the coil, but if it were me, I'd replace everything while I have it apart and have the specialty tools there. You should also check with local auto parts stores to see if they even have the loaner tools you need. If not, start looking for a shop that will do that part for you maybe foor cheap?

You should get a new coil then take a resistance reading on old and new.

Old 05-07-14, 05:55 PM
How long have you owned this car? Are you sure the fuse in it is the right value?

Old 05-08-14, 07:31 AM
I've had the car since new - so about 11 years. As a previous poster wrote, it is a 10a fuse and that does match the diagrahm on the fuse cover (the fuse works the relay/clutch and some of the dash gauges - that is how I first noticed the problem). Also, I did try to to see what would happen so I tried a higher rated fuse and a 15a fuse blew right away also. Thanks.