Guess what it is...

Old 05-06-14, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Guess what it is...

Bought a new car for wifey. Like many new cars, no spare tire, just a container of sealant and a DC powered compressor. (Already planning to buy a spare tire kit sometime soon.)

So, in with those things is a steel rod about 10-12" long, threaded on one end, with an eye on the other.

I finally found it 's use in the manual, but I'd never seen such a thing before.

So...any guesses? No cheating via Google. And no, not saying the model.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you not even going to show us a pic?

part of the jack handle ??

Old 05-06-14, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the jack is a "screw" type scissor jack, it is an extension arm so that you can reach under the car to the frame's jacking points. The eye hooks at the jack, and the other marries with the jack handle to form a makeshift crank to turn the screw on the scissor jack. Wife has one and it is a PITA to use.

Old 05-06-14, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Notice I said no spare tire? Therefore no jack or crank or lug wrench.

I will give you a pic when wifey comes home.

I doubt even TTG will get it since I doubt he's ever needed it in his line of work.

Old 05-06-14, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
planning to buy a spare tire kit sometime soon
Your next written words are-

So, in with those things is a steel rod...
Assumed you were taking about the spare tire kit

Old 05-06-14, 03:14 PM
WTH is with the no spare tire trick at todays car prices? Do they figure you will get better mpg with less weight? Or do they really think you will never get a flat tire?

Old 05-06-14, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Oops...I see yer confusion Czizzi. Sorry bout that. Any way...here's a pic.Name:  Car Part.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  34.6 KB

Like I said...bout 10-12" long, the eye is 2" outside diameter for reference.

Old 05-06-14, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
I would say its a tow hitch

Old 05-06-14, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Yes its to tow the vehicle out in an emergency. Screws into the frame somewhere...

Maybe to remove/lift the motor to change the spark plugs...LOL

Old 05-06-14, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...we have a winner. X got it. My old Windows XP upgrade disk will be in the mail tomorrow.

It's for temporary short term towing from the front of the vehicle or hauling it up on a flatbed. Since the entire nose is plastic and the air dam goes pretty low, no way to really hook on. Esp if you were in a foot of snow.

You have to pop a little cover out of the grill and screw it in.

Btw...the car is a 2014 Inferno Red Kia Soul. Way bigger inside then it looks and more electronic stuff than I have in the house it seems. Voice controlled radio, hands free phone, variable assist (Sport, Comfort, Normal) power steering, back-up cam.....very cool stuff. Strangely...very little "new car" smell, better plastics, less outgassing I guess.

Old 05-06-14, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe to remove/lift the motor to change the spark plugs...LOL
I like Mike's answer better.

Old 05-06-14, 07:42 PM
It's your towing hook. Pull plug out of bumper, screw it in, and hook up tow rope to it. We have same in our Japanese cars. Not sure why plug for them is off center, guess, to make steering it more challenge.

No, I didn't read others posts. I got it off your description.

Old 05-06-14, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah Igor...if it were in the bumper area I might have figured it out quicker, but the plug is barely noticeable as a part of the grill pattern and higher than I would have expected.

Old 05-07-14, 06:47 PM
Ooohhh... What car is it? Hope you bought a Yota... Good cars. Venzas fit females very wel. Beautiful cars, sort of stretched RX300 series.

And I know why plugs are off center. They have them tied into 2 side weight bearing beams, hence off set.

Old 05-07-14, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Venza? Do you think I'm made of money? $30K+...no way. And would have been too big anyway. She only drives 2.5 mi to work each way, around town, with an occasional trip to LV or PHX or very rarely LA.

See below...Red Kia Soul+. Nice car so far. Quiet, comfy, 6 spd auto, plenty of power to cruise at 75-80 on the freeway. One other thing is that there was a rule that it had to be a brand with a local dealer. That gave us Ford, Chevy, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Hyundia, Kia, and Honda (pretty sure thats it). Anything else would be 70+ miles round trip for even minor service.

Old 05-08-14, 07:53 PM
Congratulations. Glad she likes it.
Venza ia beautiful car. Very feminine. Yoda used to make another one, a convertible, that also looked very feminine. Trying to talk my wife into a Venza. But we still waiting on grand children, so she's not quite there yet. Still in her 99 RX300.

Old 06-01-14, 06:15 AM
its a tow hook. somewhere on the vehicle bumper is a place to screw it into to safely pull the vehicle onto a rollback.

Old 06-01-14, 10:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Volvo's have those, too. Come in very handy if you need to have the car roll backed home. John, probably keeps one under his seat just for those who have lost theirs. Beats tearing up the pretty plastic spoilers to hook to the frame.

Search this Thread