98 Nissan Altima overheating problem

Old 05-06-14, 05:02 PM
Question 98 Nissan Altima overheating problem

I have a 1998 Nissan Altima it started overheating yesterday there is rust inside the water reserve tank. it will drive just fine for a awhile and be okay then it will hit the line right before the overheating. then the engine starts making a "knocking" noise when the temp starts to get hot. I know to use the heater trick to help redirect the heat from the engine. I am totally broke so I can't even buy any anit-freeze to put in the car. I know I need to get some. It will drive for short distancs around town, but getting on the freeway not a chance. I made it 3 exits before the temp gage was at the line before the overheating. I filled the radiator and the reserve tank with water last night( purposefully over filled reserve tank to get as much of the nasty rusty water out of it). Before I left today I stopped at the gas station to check n see if it needed water. And I filled up reserve tank again & the radiator took a surprisingly large a month of water especially since I filled it up completely last night. I haven't seen any puddles anywhere that shouldn't be there. Is there a test that can be done to find out if it is the thermostat? Both of my cooling fans are working. N I checked the oil yesterday ( I have a bad oil leak) I had to add oil to the engine, but the oil that was on the stick didn't look discolored....
I need help... This car has cost me soooooo much money in the past 3 months. I don't want to spend any more than I absolutely have to.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
So If the oil is clean and not milky I would say a head gasket leak on the exhaust side.

Your loosing water and its burning out the tail pipe...

Welcome to the forums.....

Old 05-06-14, 05:11 PM
Wow that was a fast response. But if it was coming out the tail pipe wouldn't there be some sort of smoke also? There is no smoke or anything coming from the tail pipe.

Old 05-06-14, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
watch this... hope it help...

And no... no smoke necessarily...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHp5E7XnbXo#t=228

Old 05-06-14, 07:39 PM
Remove thermostat and drive without it. Almost no chance to overheat.

Old 05-06-14, 09:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have a leak. May be hose. May be the water pump. When running hot and adding water you are allowing car to run I hope. Never add water to hot car unless running. Drive car make sure it has water in it. Get it up to above norm running temp. Park and kill on pavement. Position yourself in front and inspect the underneath of car watching for drips. It has leak somewhere as this should be sealed system and not leak down. If it is water pump motor will probably have to have upper motor mount removed and motor jacked up enough to even access water pump. **************

Last edited by GregH; 05-07-14 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Remove unhelpful comments.
Old 05-07-14, 07:19 AM
for one, if you have put so much water in the system and no antifreeze, you are going to have problems when it gets hot because the water is going to boil. you need antifreeze in there for the higher temp rating.