Help with Transmission problem: 2004 Ford Explorer Torque converter

Old 05-08-14, 12:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with Transmission problem: 2004 Ford Explorer Torque converter

Please help! My O/D light (over drive) began flashing, so I took it to my local Ford shop. They received the following codes when connected to their computer:
P1744: Torque converter slip (I was told this means total transmission failure)
xxxx Solenoid body: Internal component failure
P0401: EGR sensor (emissions related).....not a major issue they said.

I asked them how the transmission fluid looked and they didn't check it or even open the pan to see. He just read the codes to me and said I needed a new transmission (not rebuilt, but new).

Is there anything I can do to diagnose this issue, other than buying a $3,000 transmission? Of course, I want to get a 2nd opinion, but could P1744 simply mean low transmission fluid (or something rather minor)????

I have $190,000 miles also. Thanks for any feedback!

Old 05-08-14, 01:30 PM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
How long have you owned this vehicle?
Has the transmission been serviced as suggested in the manual over the years?
Did YOU check the fluid level and condition of the transmission oil?

Old 05-08-14, 01:42 PM
C
I've owned it since 2007 and have been a little tardy with some of the tranny maintenance. But overall, have not had any issues. My years tend to slip when changing. I have not checked any of the fluid or oil condition. Based on what the Ford dealership said, I need a new transmission. However, they did not physically inspect anything inside. They just connected the computer and read off the codes. I wonder if a solenoid replacent pack would correct the problem. Any advice or recommendations? Thank you again!

Old 05-08-14, 05:10 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
sorry dude but that is what they call a death code. you could do a few patches that would cost a couple hundred and have a chance of making it last 20,000 miles or it could make it worse. they will not take that chance. and nether should you. just google the code and you will see the vast amounts of other people that was doomed.

Old 05-12-14, 11:42 AM
C
thanks for the info....I was afraid of this but hoping for the best I think i'll replace the tranny for $2,000 and hope I get 2 years or so of trouble free driving.

Old 05-12-14, 11:51 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
If you get a good transmission and maintain it .. 2 years will be a walk in the park.

Don't "hope" ..... MAINTAIN.

Old 05-12-14, 12:32 PM
C
of course! thanks again!

Old 05-14-14, 08:46 AM
N
I would take a gamble on replacing the solonoid body
These trans are not exactly user friendly ( YOU have to PUMP the fluid into the pan) after removal, & there is a procedure for that!
You can probably find a solonoid from a Trans Parts supply house. or Maybe Rock Auto

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: