How to add UV dye to A/C system

Old 05-09-14, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to add UV dye to A/C system

What is the proper procedure for adding the UV dye that comes in a separate vial (not the kind included with R-134a)?

Here's where I'd get stuck: Say the system is drawn down and shows a nice vacuum holding on the manifold gauge. I pour the proper amount of UV dye into the yellow service hose on the gauge set and connect the R-134a can. But now I need to briefly loosen the service hose to purge the air from the line. If I do that I lose most of my dye, squirted out everywhere along with the purged air. (Right?)

It seems I'm stuck with two choices: Having a small amount of air in my system or not having hardly any dye in there. Which one I pick I guess depends on the vacuum test. Next time I'll buy it with the dye in the can.

Old 05-09-14, 12:31 PM
W
They make a fitting to do this , but I do not have one .

Worse comes to worse , you COULD , while you still have a vacuum in the system , remove the hose from the vacuum pump ,. Either pour some in the hose as you described . Or stick the end of the hose in some oil ( containing dye ) and open the manifold low pressure valve enough to let it slurp up the dye / oil .

To be safe , after it has " digested " the oil / dye , vacuum it down again .

A pain , I know . But you asked .......

God bless
Wyr

Old 05-09-14, 01:18 PM
while you still have a vacuum in the system , remove the hose from the vacuum pump ,. Either pour some in the hose as you described
Wouldn't I instantly lose my vacuum then? But I believe there's a shraeder on the pump side of the service hose, so I wouldn't lose my vacuum. But in that case I couldn't pour dye in that end either, because it would have nowhere to go.

I like the idea of submerging the hose in the dye. I'd just need to rig up something where I could press on the valve whilst it was submerged, like a nail bent into a tight U shape or something. Honestly I've not used this brand new manifold set of mine so I'm not even sure if there is a shraeder on it. I'll be finding out shortly.

I'm beginning to think this is more trouble than it's worth. If the vacuum shows a leak, then a little air in there for a couple hours won't hurt much. And if there's no leak then I guess I don't really need the dye in there at present.

I'm interested in this fitting you mentioned. Won't help me with today's festivities but I've got other cars to do also.

Old 05-09-14, 01:52 PM
WyrTwister-

After getting the gauges out and on the car... ah hah, now I think I see what you were saying! The end with the schrader is large enough for about a thimbleful of dye. I just fill that while holding the thing perfectly still and upright, blip the schrader with a nail, let it suck in a small amount (but not all), rinse and repeat. As long as it doesn't all get sucked in dry then no air should get in.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-14, 03:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
You need another tool. An oil/dye injector.

A C Air Conditioner Oil Injector for R134a Systems | eBay

When I was in shop I had a small container (about 4 oz.) that fit in the suction line on gauges and had a valve. One end would unscrew for pouring in the dye and oil, the threaded cap had an O-ring for sealing. Get system under vacuum, pour in dye and oil, close container, and open valve on container to inject dye into system. Fluorescent dye worked better with a little oil to get it into system.
Charge system and run for awhile, then check with "Black light".
You can inject the oil/dye under pressure (don't need a vacuum) from your 134a supply connected to the injector.
Worked for me.

RR

Last edited by Rough Rooster; 05-09-14 at 03:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: