tie rod end boot pinhole

Old 05-12-14, 02:18 PM
tie rod end boot pinhole

On my 92 Accord I just replaced both outer tie rod ends (on the passenger side and on the driver side). The replacements were the Moog brand. These joints are greaseable (have zirk grease fittings) and upon pumping a little grease into one of them I noticed as the rubber boot was beginning to swell that grease began oozing out of an apparent pinhole sized hole (well maybe not that small but still a pinhole-like hole) in the bulging side of the boot. Not out of the the manufactured "grease release" openings in the top of the rubber boot. The tie rod end on the other side of the car I had just installed and then greased did as it was supposed to; that is, when it was full the grease began oozing slightly out of the proper manufactured grease release openings in the boot (which is what supposed to happen to tell you it's full). But this other one the rubber boot ruptured a pinhole in the side of it as I described instead of the grease coming out of the manufactured grease release holes. So I'll need to get a new part now. As far as I know I didn't do anything wrong, I just pumped some grease into the fitting per the instructions after the installation of the tie rod end. Maybe next time I should do something different to avoid this happening again? Any comment(s) appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-14, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't replace it. I would just plan on filling it with grease on a regular service schedule. The grease seals off the relief hole.

Old 05-12-14, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
You could probably just clean off the boot with alcohol and put a dab of RTV sealant on the hole. I wouldn't do the replacement either.

Old 05-12-14, 05:18 PM
The grease seals off the relief hole.
Not sure what you mean by that, how the grease "seals off" the relief hole(s). I am of the understanding that the grease release openings are so that the old spent grease will be expelled as new grease is pumped in, and also serve as an indicator that the boot is full when grease oozes out upon filling the joint with grease.

Old 05-12-14, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
He meant (I think) that no dust or moisture would come in through that small a hole as the grease is sealing it off.

Old 05-12-14, 05:23 PM
You could probably just clean off the boot with alcohol and put a dab of RTV sealant on the hole. I wouldn't do the replacement either.
That seems worth a try. Not sure though if the dab of RTV could be expected to hold its seal with the slight pressure of the grease within the boot as its filled.

Old 05-12-14, 05:26 PM
He meant (I think) that no dust or moisture would come in through that small a hole as the grease is sealing it off.
Okay I see. But I guess I'm concerned that most all of the grease will rather soon just all leak out of that small hole.

Old 05-12-14, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, it's your time...but why would it leak out there more than anywhere else? Like I said, I'd clean it up and put a dab of black RTV on it. Let it cure and it should be good.

Old 05-12-14, 05:35 PM
If you feel you must replace the rubber boot , I bought a replacement rubber boot on a GM car at NAPA . Do not know about a Honda ?

Look at it this way , you are probably still better off than the OEM non-greaseable part ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 05-19-14, 11:43 AM
Yes that is what I meant. The viscosity of a paste grease won't allow it to flow through the pin hole mentioned. The grease will seal it off and normal service on the tie rod end is plenty - IMHO.

What could be gained by replacing the boot wouldn't be a lot.

Old 05-19-14, 02:36 PM
Okay well since I purchased the part from Amazon I went ahead and let them know about the issue (apparently a defect I suppose) and they sent me a free replacement. Guess I could replace it, or not.

Search this Thread