Started my car for the first time in over 6 months and it sounds HORRIBLE!

Old 05-12-14, 05:33 PM
Started my car for the first time in over 6 months and it sounds HORRIBLE!

Help! So my car's been sitting in a garage since October. I changed the struts, transmission pan, filter and fluid, changed the oil and oil filter and rotors. Then the battery! Finally got her all zipped up and started her only to hear her sound horrible. I can't describe the hell that it sounds like. Could it be the fact the the fuel may have soured? Or could the timing belt have rotted? I thought it may have been the belts, but they looked fine. I sprayed them with belt dressing. No improvement. It sounds worse in P. Should I take her for a spin and get her some fresh gas before anything: I have some injector cleaner and at present, less than a quarter tank of fuel? It sounds like a timing belt thing... but no engine light so it hasn't snapped nor misfired.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-14, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Sean. it's hard to diagnose problems by noise but what are you hearing and where is it coming from ?

What's the make, model and year ?

It's not likely to be the timing belt.... as you don't usually hear that.

Some likely problem areas are belt driven items like.... A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump.

Old 05-12-14, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
And throw the belt dressing in the trash.

If it's engine noise...likely it's oil related. Same with tranny. If it all drained down, then you changed it, it may take a bit to reach everything. How long did it run? 30 seconds or less should be enough to get lube to everything needed.

Check all your fluid levels and as said...where is the noise coming from?

Yes, fuel could be old...but wouldn't cause a noise...just bad running/starting.

Might help to know the model and engine.

Old 05-12-14, 06:25 PM
"Belt dressing" should not be used on any automotive drive belts. To determine if it is a belt problem remove all the drive belts, obviously you can't remove the timing belt, and then start the engine. Does the noise disappear? If so, then it is a belt noise. Does this car use any serpentine belts? If so, they need to be extremely tight or they can be squealers. Check the pulleys for shiny areas, that indicates a belt that has been slipping.

Post back.

Old 05-12-14, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies! It's a 2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0L, 4 cylinders. The sound is up front adjacent the alternator. I was hoping it was bad fuel. I ran the darn thing for maybe 3 minutes. Actually, the first 10-15 seconds sounded great so I thought maybe the fuel in the tank finally hit the injectors in enough quantity to make the thing sound so awful. This is definitely not any accessory belt, they are all great. I'll start her again and take another listen but I'm not sure I'll be able to pinpoint anything. May have to take her to a mechanic tomorrow morning.

Old 05-12-14, 06:52 PM
I take that back! I did see what that was. Bad pulley. All the pulleys are whirring away except for one way at the bottom. I see all three bolts holding it on static!!! Thanks all! I suppose I'll let the shop take it from here. Got to go check the alignment at a shop anyways, seeing as how I did the front struts myself.

Thanks again!

Oh, one quick question, is there any reason I shouldn't drive this thing the 5 or so miles to the major chain shop that checks alignment for free (as opposed to the one catty corner from my house). Can it go the 5 miles on the bad pulley without making anything worse?

Old 05-12-14, 08:11 PM
Is the pulley that you say is not moving on the air conditioning compressor? If yes, are sure it isn't moving? The fact that you can see the three bolts is misleading because that part doesn't move until the electric clutch is engaged by turning the A/C on.

Old 05-12-14, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
After all the other work, you are going to have a shop do this? What is the pulley connected to? From what I see looks like it may be the A/C compressor...that could be bad. But was the A/C turned on when you did the check?

Depends on a couple of things...might just be an idler. Check your routing diagram under the hood.

The 5 miles wouldn't mess with the tires too much, but I sure wouldn't drive it w/o fixing the pulley thing first.

Free alignment check huh? Bet they only find about 1% that don't need some work.

Old 05-13-14, 04:54 AM
Ya, I'd turn the AC on and then off. If the noise goes away with it on, then it's probably a bad AC clutch and/or clutch bearing (normally not too expensive parts wise). Otherwise, if the noise is from the AC compressor, and you only hear it when the AC is off, then suspect a bad AC compressor (much more expensive than just the clutch).

Btw, it's generally a good idea to drive or at least run your vehicle for 20 minutes or so at least once a month (at a "fast idle" and in a well ventilated area of course). You should also run the AC during this time. Doing this can help avoid corrosion and moisture build-up problems that sometimes occur during long periods of sitting. This will also help keep the battery from discharging past the point of "no return".

As for the "free" wheel alignment thing; I wouldn't fall for this sales pitch unless you're having steering and/or tire wear problems. I'd also recommend that you consider having a Mazda dealership do any wheel alignment checks and/or corrections if needed.

Old 05-13-14, 05:28 AM
My experience with Mazda dealerships have been the absolute worst. I'll never, ever buy another Mazda again just so I never have to work with another Mazda dealership.

Anyway, now I'm worried. Looking at the service manual, however, I suspect it's the pulley closest the water pump. Does that sound about right? I didn't have the A/C on. I guess I'll bring it across the street and have them do this repair first. I'm just tired of working in compartments that nothing can fit in, except, maybe, the hands of a smallish Japanese woman. The repairs I've done have been away from the cramped under the hood area.

Thanks again. I'll let you know what a shop finds.

Old 05-13-14, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Might just be idler pulley; those and tensioner pulleys often have bearings go bad.

Old 05-13-14, 09:58 AM
Quote:
"Free alignment check huh? Bet they only find about 1% that don't need some work."

Yep, and they'll be lucky if they don't mess up the alignment to where it's worse than it was before. I've seen this far too many times with non-factory alignment work.

Old 05-25-14, 07:56 PM
Ifits had the same gas for the last 6 months and the engine is running like crap put some ethanol treatment in it and drive it out.mcan do a youtube video of what the noise sounds like?

Old 05-30-14, 10:16 PM
Probably an idler or tensioner pully. Possibly alternator bearing. You can get a mechanics stethoscope from parts store for a few bucks.. touch it to differnt parts till you hear it plain as day... watch out for the belt and fan

Old 06-02-14, 03:24 PM
add a flush engine additive and let it run for 15 min at idle then change oil and oil filter and ur problem will vanish