Yakima Roof Rack Security - 1993 Volvo 850

Old 06-14-14, 09:20 AM
Yakima Roof Rack Security - 1993 Volvo 850

So I have had a Yakima roof rack for bikes/snowboards on my car for years. Just last week I chased someone away who had used a pry bar to break 3 of the 4 mounting points off in under 5 mins. Luckily he was chased away before he could remove it completely.

There was minor damage to the car (marks) and the rack was repaired with new q clips, but I am worried about remounting it as my car is parked on the street in Chicago. Does anyone know of any additional ways to secure this roof rack to the car?

Here is the rack and how it mounts:

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-produ...SK_1&manuf=YAK

Also please not I do have all lock cores installed. So if he did steal it he would have had to destroy the rack to remove the lock cores.... still apparently not a deterrent to stealing it and it did not prevent him from prying out the q tower clips.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-14, 09:23 AM
Also it is hard to see in the picture, but there are small pins that stick out from the q clip into a small hole on the top of the door frame. Some of the holes were damaged in their attempt.

Old 09-29-14, 02:44 PM
anyone have any ideas on how to secure the roof rack?

Old 09-29-14, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
I doubt you will get any more answers. The post has had almost 300 views with no responses. If it was secured with screws into a track, then I'd suggest some odd head screws that would use an uncommon driver. Since it just uses gutter clips (sorta), I'd have to recommend removing it when it won't be used.