Brake rotor warp

Old 06-14-14, 10:00 AM
Brake rotor warp

Has anybody had any luck with brake rotors lasting more than 2-3 years without warping? I can't justify continuously spending $50-60 every other year or at best every 3 years and just throwing away 40.000 mile rotors. I know everybody likes cheap stuff but I am willing to spend the money on non china rotors that have some longevity. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-14, 10:42 AM
What are you doing to get them hot enough to warp? Have you tried having them turned? It's a lot cheaper to turn them if they can be, but again I would address the overheating of them.

Old 06-14-14, 01:28 PM
I had never had this problem till I was no longer given a choice between china and any other country...

Old 06-14-14, 01:32 PM
Make, model and year of vehicle ??
What brand of brake pads are you using?

Old 06-14-14, 01:47 PM
1993 Pontiac Grand Prix with Carquest brake pads.

Old 06-14-14, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good brake pads are life time warranted.
It can be a sticking caliper, live on a dirt road, someone's ridding the brakes while driving, a job like delivering mail, news papers, lots of stop and go driving in a city causing the shorter life.

Old 06-14-14, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think I've ever warped a rotor but my wife has, she's a lot harder on the brakes than I am

IMO changing your driving habits is the best way to keep the rotors from warping, wish I could get my wife to understand that

Old 06-14-14, 03:05 PM
My own little experiment was this..I have a truck I use for hauling wood and frequently gets over loaded. When I decided to change pads I thought what the heck and spent big money on Brembo rotors and ceramic pads. That was 8 years ago and still going strong. My other vehicles as well as my parents car all suffer from these cheap import rotors that warp at about the same time frame. My understanding is now you cant even get any rotors that are not imports from a country designed to manufacture cheap junk. So, that being said..Does anyone have experience with a particular brand that they have gotten good longevity with?

Old 06-14-14, 03:55 PM
No, but after my 125 mile trip to ATL today, I find a roar in the right rear of our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is synchronized with applying the brakes, so I fear brake rotor warp, too. Already changed the bearings and tires, so I'll see what comes up with a brand for the rotors and post it here as well. Good luck.

Old 06-14-14, 04:44 PM
yet another time do I post this:

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Old 06-14-14, 04:47 PM
Come to think...
I don't remember how many years passed since last time I turned rotors .

Old 06-14-14, 05:02 PM
Thanks to Chandler...Real world results! I'll pass on the science of brakes and braking mostly because they are marketing to anyone who wants to read what they preach. Want interesting reading, check out the science of metallurgy and how heating and cooling affects the properties of expanding and contracting certain manufactured metals.

Last edited by bkrtrsh; 06-14-14 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 06:49 AM
Sure. Like anything else in any forum, posters come with pre-determined opinion, then simply look for supporting posts, to support that opinion.
I used to - as we own multiple vehicles - turn rotors several times a year, based on multiple cars and high mileage put on them.
Like I said, I do not remember, how many years passed since I turned a rotor. I bed rotors in, just like described in an article THAT IS NOT SELLING YOU anything. Hard to call that marketing. If I start getting shakes, I take rotors off and simply Blanchard grind them with power tool. Well, it's more of "sanding" than grinding, as I use rough sand paper on rotary air sander. All I do is take pad build up off. Bed right away.
How is this NOT real life I am not quite sure, but that's OK, to each of his own. Btw, six years as tool and dye maker, I do know a thing or two about heat and metals, and warping, as we did our own forging, heat treating, and annealing of metals we made tools out of.
OP, as a fellow DIY person to another fellow DIY person. Turn them one last time, clean pads before reinstall, BED right away, and then simply spray brake cleaner onto rotors twice a year to keep it all clean. Plan your braking, don't slam on brakes to emergency stop every time, and do not press brake pedal hard at red lights, to hold car in place, as that's exactly what's causing pads print on rotor surface. Along with build up.
And not to forget. I almost bet a sandwich, you never greased caliper guides and pads seats regularly. As THIS will cause continuous contact between pad and rotor indeed overheating rotor. And crappy gas mileage.
If you really want different type suggestion, switch to slotted rotors. They channel heat and gasses produced during braking away more efficiently. Cost a lot, but.. You'll still have to bed them, or they will go south just like anything else. But on my CR-V, that I had to turn OEM rotors 3 times a year, I put 75 000 miles on slotted and sold the car. But BEDDED.

Old 06-15-14, 07:53 AM
36 year maintenance machinist...Now you lost me all together. tool and die...DIE
Not looking for support on anything, simply asked a question. Looking for answers..
Jebus crackmouse.. Lighten up Francis and don't take it so personal.
I'll take a ham and swiss on rye,mustard please, pal..

Last edited by bkrtrsh; 06-15-14 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 01:43 PM
I know it is light hearted, now. Just don't let it get out of hand. Two bulls in a china shop don't make for nice days. I can close it as fast as it started. Thanks, guys.