99 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L surges and dies.

Old 06-19-14, 08:14 PM
99 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L surges and dies.

This problem was sudden onset. Cranks normal. Starts with normal idle then rpms surge and drop, surge and drop, surge and drop, die. If I try to give it gas it will die.

I know I need to get codes read with a scanning tool but that isn't gonna happen until Monday. I also have a 97 Grand Caravan that runs perfectly at my disposal. My wife has the Concorde to drive while I tinker. I intend to check wiring to all sensors while locating sensors, check vacuum lines,etc. It would be good to do eyes-on inspection of those items whether it solves my problem or not.

I'm also thinking how quick and simple it would be to swap some of these sensors, relays, etc between the 2 vans to see if anything corrected the problem or transferred the problem to other van. Anybody have any ideas? I have 3 days to tinker.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-14, 08:50 PM
map, iac, are the most common to cause this. are they both 3.3?

Old 06-20-14, 09:25 AM
MAP sensor is first on my list to swap.

You lost me on IAC?

Yes, they are both 3.3L. Everything under hood looks identical.

Last edited by Greyfox; 06-20-14 at 09:27 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-30-14, 10:16 AM
Took electrical connector off MAP sensor. Then decided to try cranking with MAP out of system. It cranked and almost immediately died. Tapped connector on sensor, blew loose stuff from both connection points and reconnected MAP. Tried cranking again. Surge and drop but this time I caught the second surge with the accel pedal. It responded and I took it up to 2500 and held it steady for about 10 seconds. Let off. It dropped to about 900 and idled steady. Perfect response throughout the rpm range. Cranked fine, ran fine, and idled fine for about a week.

In the last 20 cranks, 4 times it has not wanted to crank. After several tries, it will crank with idle about 200 rpms... barely running. After 5 or 10 seconds, if it doesn't die, the idle goes to 1100, then drops to 900, perfect idle from then on and no driving problems.

New aspect of same problem or new problem? Could MAP sensor cause the new symptoms?

Old 06-30-14, 01:18 PM
I know I need to get codes read with a scanning tool
I don't think you necessarily need a scan tool. Following the "key off-on, off-on, off-on" sequence (as described in the owner's manual) should display most of the codes that you'd likely have in regard to this problem (you can also search the Internet for more info on the "key code retrieval method).

Meanwhile, I would not "swap" any more parts for one vehicle to another until you check for trouble codes.

Old 06-30-14, 08:50 PM
I know how to do the key code retrieval. Had done that with no codes showing. When shop opened the next monday, I got it scanned... still no codes... but then it was cranking, idling and running fine. Almost 2 weeks later I have started having the hard crank problem about 20% of the time. Not a big issue if I was driving it but it is my wife's main ride.

Old 07-18-14, 08:28 AM
update

My problem was a failing fuel pump. When I did a fuel pressure test with wife cranking and me watching gauge attached to rail: No start until psi reached 11. Idle erratic until it read 15psi, then she would run and rev ok but a little sluggish. Fuel pump should be putting out 49psi. Replaced fuel pump and filter and she is starting and running like a champ.

From now on a fuel pressure test will be one of my first diagnostic steps. The gauge is relatively cheap and on most fuel injection systems the hookup is quick and easy. If it doesn't find your problem at least you know you are getting good pressure to the rail/injectors.