Toyota Corolla 2007 LE

Old 06-20-14, 06:15 AM
Toyota Corolla 2007 LE

Hello 50.000 miles, 7 years, good shape

I have a vibration when brakes applied due to rotors being warped I guess.
Also metallic noise when pull emergency brake applied.

If I had to have the brakes done around the car about how much would it cost and are there any things I should mention like the type of pads etc.

Zip 20886

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-14, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
A chain store will probably charge about $400-500 depending on if rotors can be turned or if they need replacing. Also depends on if you have rear disc brakes or drums. A good local shop might charge less.

Very unlikely you have a warped disc, more likely you have chattering due to glazed pads or uneven buildup on the discs.

Old 06-20-14, 09:27 AM
That is valuable information you have given me. Knowing that it is possible that I have chattering due to glazed pads or uneven buildup on the discs.
Thanks for the ammunition to get the work done.

Old 06-20-14, 05:19 PM
Exclamation

Gunguy gave you some pretty solid advice. Also check out the rotors (just pop off the wheels, if you're comfortable doing that). If you notice that the wear on the rotors is uneven, you might have a seized caliper pin. If that's the case, it's a pretty easy fix.

Old 06-21-14, 05:54 AM
Great video. I always get the answers here - thank you.
I have an 8 hour drive and the shimmy is not so bad that it will damage the front end. It is brief and only when I am applying the brakes at about 30 mph.
Once there, my brother and I have a friend who is a certified mechanic and he works for next to nothing as a family friend. I will let him look at all brakes. I know him well and trust him. He is not in the area i am in - less city so that's good too for prices. I'm getting killed around DC but my grandchildren are here - its killing a pensioner.
Thaank a lot.

Old 06-21-14, 06:37 AM
OP, being a pensioner, you have plenty of time on hand.
Buy basic set of tools, ramps, drain pan, a manual for the car, and DIY this. Entire investment will be hundred bucks maybe. Do your own oil changes and small items like this.
It's good bonding with your car and loud and clear money saving. Mechanics are not gods, you know.

Old 06-21-14, 08:11 AM
age and health

When i was younger I never hired anyone. I built my house with garage and studio, wired and plumbed and did my car stuff. I was hit with cancer at 60, 15 years ago, and lost a kidney then a lung and it went to my bladder. I was left with allodynia and rsd as a result and need hard drugs to control intractable pain.
I am mostly chair bound but keep using the stairs to keep my lung going.

I appreciate your suggestion as I was always active and the first one to jump in.

The meds have screwed with my thinking so I come to forums for second opinions so i can better plan to get it done the best and least costly way. We cannot afford this area and will likely move back where we grew up but it will kill me to leave my grand children especially the one we raised for 4 years.

I really appreciate your idea.
Btw, I have given away compressors, paint sets, jacks, ramps tools of all kinds. i can still do a little plumbing if i don't have to get under the sink but then i pay.
Thanks again for the well meaning suggestion and the help.
I'm a crusty old bird and am a fighter.
Sometimes you get the beer, and sometimes the beer gets you!

Old 06-22-14, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Just as a followup....this is my experience in the last few days.

I've always had a pulsing in the brake pedal since my wife had a flat from hitting a piece of wood on the freeway several years ago. That's another issue...but, I noticed it seemed like my stopping distance was getting long on a route I go every few days. Kinda rolling deep after the stop sign?

Most (all?) of my driving is under 40mph on city streets. Decided to do a little test. On 3 stops going to a local convenience store yesterday, I sped up and hit the brakes late and hard. I'm sure they heated up a bit as I didn't notice any real improvement.

Today, did the same route and there was a big difference. Firmer pedal it seemed and the car actually nose dived a little bit where it didn't before.

So, conclusion is, sometime you need to hit the brakes hard to clean things up.

Old 06-23-14, 07:33 AM
hit hard

We use to set the rear brakes on some older cars by going backwards fast and hitting the brakes a few times.
I know what you mean. I have tried that forward and backward. I am going to give it another try. You and I are alike in that we don't quit. Thank you for your help.

Search this Thread