Body Work (Paint) Estimate

Old 06-20-14, 08:50 AM
Body Work (Paint) Estimate

I'm purchasing a used Acura MDX this weekend from an out-of-town seller and there's an area on the rear lift gate just below the glass that is peeling. I'm curious as to how involved it will be to repair this. For example, will the body shop need to remove the entire lift gate from the vehicle and remove the tail lights, interior paneling, wiring, etc. prior to painting it? If so, I'm afraid this could easily reach $1,000 to fix. If it's going to be that expensive, I'd like to do as much R&R on my own to save on labor costs.

Name:  Rear Door_R.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  18.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-14, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll get a better job if the lights and such are removed versus taped off but it can be done either way. The main thing is to sand off any coating that isn't bonded well, then prime and sand the transition so it won't show once the finish coat is applied.

Old 06-20-14, 09:11 PM
That's not the question to ask. Question to ask is - WHY is it peeling. Take her to a body shop or have body guy with you to take a look at it. Looks like rear end damage poorly painted over. It's ACURA, bud, accurate for reason, not for crappy paint jobs.