Tips for replacing my Elantra's oil pan?

Old 06-26-14, 07:36 AM
Question Tips for replacing my Elantra's oil pan?

My 2009 Elantra's oil pan is quite rusty. Looks like it'll become porous very soon. So I'll be replacing the lower oil pan in a few weeks.

I do have some questions before I start this project.
  • What type (or brand) of gasket material is best to use?
  • How do I clean and prepare the mounting surface? I imagine that there will be all sorts of gunk and rust when I remove the old pan. Is alcohol and sandpaper a good way to prep the mounting surface (ie. where the gasket material meets the oil pan)

Thanks, guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 06:19 PM
Why replace? Never heard of porous oil pan.
What you do need to do is to start using copper oil pan drain bolt washers, so that you do not have that oil seepage onto the pan.
Why would you replace it? Seriously?

Old 06-27-14, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious but if the pan looks like that, what shape are the critical parts in, i.e. suspension, steering, brake lines. Have to love that road salt up there.

Old 06-27-14, 05:32 AM
Winter road salt is one thing .. some areas use a brine for dust mitigation, potasium or calcium chloride.
That stuff works on your vehicle year-round. My brother lives just south of North Bay, Ontario on a dirt road that is treated with brine and the stainless exhaust system on his Impala rusted through in just a few years along with the disc brake backing plates and suspension/body components.
melon cat should be oil spraying that Elantra regularly.

Old 06-27-14, 07:13 AM
Spraying, but not replacing perfectly fine, though scary looking, oil pan.
OP, should you be looking for manly entertainment with your vehicle, definitely take a closer look at the "vital parts", like TG said. THEY are likely to fail way ahead of that pan.

Old 06-27-14, 07:23 AM
If you are buying the new Original Equipment pan from the dealer he should also be offering the O.E. pan gasket. Otherwise most good auto supply stores sell the major brand name gaskets one of which probably supplies the O.E. gasket to Hyundai. I usually use Permatex Hi-Tack between the gasket and the pan, and nothing between the gasket and the engine block - unless the block contact surface looks scored or gouged out - then I would use the Hi-Tack on that side of the gasket also.

Do not use sandpaper on the engine block because it will score it, just use a good sharp scraper to clean it as smooth as possible and then remove oil residue with either denatured alcohol or Brake clean spray (leaves no residue), or last resort because it's deadly - is lacquer thinner - but definitely wear nitrile gloves because these products are absorbed through your skin and attack things like your liver and pancreas.

Old 06-27-14, 08:32 AM
2granddaughters and the_tow_guy- I bought it used last winter, so I can't be too sure of how the previous owner treated the vehicle). Luckily, the suspension components seem to be in fine condition. The oil pan seems like it got the worst of the rust. I suspect that when the previous owner got it rust proofed, the oil pan was neglected during the rust-proofing process.

AMgrandspan- thanks for the tips. Now, does it matter what the scraper is made out of? Only asking because I have a cheap-ish multi-purpose scraper (like this one pictured). Hopefully this one will do.

Old 06-27-14, 09:49 AM
Any good quality scraper with a clean straight edge will do. As long as it doesn't gouge out the smooth metal surface of the pan and engine.