Car camera config. lowest level of voltage before shutdown?

Old 06-29-14, 05:19 PM
Car camera config. lowest level of voltage before shutdown?

In my car cam configuration, it has an option to automatically shut off the camera when the car battery
voltage drops to a certain point to prevent it from being drained.

But what is a safe level? The options it gives me are: 12.2v down to 11.6v. Right now I have the setting
at 12.0v. But i think i need more power because the camera shuts down only after 10 to 12 hours or so. I'm assuming since they give me an option of 11.6v as the lowest, it means it is the safest allowable lowest limit?

Can I adjust my setting down to 11.6v so that I can get that extra 3-4 hours of recording without worrying about being close to draining my battery dead?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-14, 06:09 PM
Now you got me real curious.
What kind of cam is it? You did post about 2nd battery, right? We had amp and speakers running off regular car battery without draining it for 6 hrs. What's up with you cam? Some sort of power hog..

Old 06-29-14, 11:49 PM
That's what I'm wondering also.

It's just a regular 2-way channel cam by BLUVI UNI-G200 HD. But here's the reason why I think it seems to run out fast: my car is a small 1.0 L Chevy spark. The battery is 45 AH. I only drive daily about 5 minutes to work and 5 minutes back home, so maybe the battery doesn't get a FULL recharge. Sometimes I have to just drive around for 10 minutes just to recharge the battery for the camera. That's a very expensive hobby lol.

So anyways, I lowered the configuration to auto shutdown when it detects the voltage is only 11.6v instead of 12.0v. I think that should give me the extra few hours. I'm just wondering is 11.6v safe enough to not have to worry about a dead car battery or if the car won't start?

Old 06-30-14, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So we are into the third thread regarding this camera setup. :NO NO NO:keep it all together. It is confusing enough without having to chase the forums for information.

Old 06-30-14, 06:13 PM
OK, I have solution for you, but be mindful of what topic mod said too. Mods here are very militant, better listen.
You definitely undercharging your battery. Yet, your car is parked at work, which is enough sunlight for this:
Amazon.com: Schumacher SP-200 2.4W Solar Battery Maintainer: Automotive

Buy it, install, and forget about all this.

Old 06-30-14, 10:19 PM
not a bad solution, but it is still dependent upon the capacity of the battery.

I did come across this in my extensive searching around:

iSpyXD - Longest Recording Spy Camera - ElectroFlip.com - YouTube

Now, this is much closer to what I've been looking for from the very beginning: a simple external battery pack the size of a deck of cards that can be recharged and then used as a battery to extend the life of electronic devices.

It's very small, portable, lightweight, easy to recharge, and no need to mess around with the car battery or adding more batteries. It can record 15 to 17 hours continuous video BUT here's the downside, it's only 177x134 frame size or something like that. Also, it's one of those cheap spy pen recorder type devices and the quality is not that great to begin with let alone at 177 frame size and at night time (no night vision).

If I can only find something exactly like this that works for point and shoot digital cameras, I wouldn't need to research about all these other methods of trying to find alternative ways to have portable power.

I'll have to ask in some digital camera forum about this to be more specific. I'm hoping to find a camera that perhaps has an accessory like a 50,000 MAH external battery pack that the camera can run off of for 8, 10 or more hours continuously recording (I only need 640x480 or even 320x280 would be fine also) in night mode (ie. like on Sony cameras that have night vision option).

Sorry, I just didn't know that with all the advancements in technology, that we still haven't created a simple battery pack that can power electronic devices for long hours of continuous use, without resorting to something like 20 pound power station, or 12V car battery / deep cycle / lead acid battery. Just seems rather odd.

Every single camera and camcorder out in the market is ALREADY utilizing what I'm looking for except the capacities on the batteries are just way too small (2 hour recording max). Even if the battery is too big to fit in the camera itself, it doesn't have to fit "in" the camera, just as long as it can plug into the camera and be the size of say a 300 page paperback novel battery.

In this day in age, there's no reason why this shouldn't exist as I'm sure there are more reasons now for ppl to need their electronic devices to run much longer than just 2 hours of recording/usage time.

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I'm learning as I go along.

Search this Thread