Lost keys - please help!

Old 07-05-14, 11:59 AM
Lost keys - please help!

I lost the key and remote door opener to my 05 Camry. I think they could be almost anywhere in my house or fairly large yard. I see these gadgets that will locate keys or anything else but it appears you need to attach a transmitter before you lose the object. Is there anything on the market that can locate the key and/or the remote without any other device attached. Also, I wonder how much my "friends" at Toyota will charge for a new key and remote? please reply and prevent this old man from having a stroke.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-14, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
No, there is no magic wand to find lost keys. Outside a metal detector might be of use, but no help inside.

You'll probably be on the hook for about $100, depending on how fancy the fob was. Some can run close to $200 or even more.

If it was just a regular chipped key, a locksmith can make you a new one for around $50. Of course he'll need another key or the code from the dealer based on the VIN.

Old 07-05-14, 01:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could try the " last time I used the car, I - -" Did you come back from the grocery? Keys may have ended up in the trunk. Back from golf, check the bag, etc.

Old 07-05-14, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A magnet might help locate the key ring if it fell in the yard. Is that the only set you have

Old 07-05-14, 02:58 PM
Just found the damn keys. You would never believe i had them tucked in my boxers, half against my skin, half over the boxers covered by my tea shirt. I'm going to call 911 now and have them take me away to the funny farm!

Old 07-05-14, 03:15 PM
You can share a room with me!

Old 07-05-14, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Yep, it's time for you to go to assisted living. Can you let us know when you are on the road from now on....lol.

Hey, I've spent 10 minutes looking for my glasses...only to find them pushed back on my head. And I'm only 55....oops, 56 now.

Go get another key made on Monday...you can probably hold off on the fob.