2000 Impala inside blower fan stops working after about 20min.

Old 07-06-14, 07:14 PM
2000 Impala inside blower fan stops working after about 20min.

I have a 2000 Impala. 3.8V6. Went on about a 200 mile round trip drive today. I was using the a/c which was working fine and blowing cold air. The fan speed switch has selections from 1-5 and the fan would work in all and increase speed as I turned up to higher number just as it should.

The problem was that after about 20 minutes or so into the trip the a/c was not cooling much but I don't think it was actually an a/c problem as it was a fan blowing problem. The fan felt like it was barely blowing. It would increase a little as I turned it up but not much at all. On 5 it felt more like normally would at 1. Anyway I turned it off and rolled down the windows. After about 15 - 20 min. I tried it again and it worked fine again. This happened several more times on the trip.

I am thinking the fan motor is going bad and as it gets hotter it stops working right. What do you guys think? Fan? Selector control? or something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-14, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
I think you do indeed may have an A/C problem. You are likely low on freon, or possibly not enough air is being moved past the evaporator. First, check that your cabin filter (if you have one) is in good working order. If it is, then likely the evaporator is freezing up due to low freon.

Old 07-07-14, 03:44 AM
Thanks, I will have this checked. Can you tell me how this condition reduces the air output of the fan? thanks

Old 07-07-14, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Sure. As the evaporator gets colder, the condensation on it starts to freeze rather then run off. Pretty soon there is so much ice that no air (or very little) can get through from the fan. If you were to let it freeze up and then stop the car and let it sit for a while, or run it with the ac off and the heat on, you will likely get a pretty good puddle of water under the car from the drain tube.

Search this Thread