1990 Honda Accord Oil Pan Gasket Change

Old 07-13-14, 03:54 PM
1990 Honda Accord Oil Pan Gasket Change

1990 Honda Accord LX, 4Dr, AT, 248,600 miles. After changing oil pan gasket and torque to 120 inch-lb, I still have leak from gasket. I only put a little RTV every 1 inch to hold gasket on oil pan. Does this cause oil leak? I saw some videos. Some put RTV all around gasket and pan as well as gasket and cam. The original gasket doesn't seem to have RTV or Honda bond every where, but only at curve edge. Another question is I found a small ring (3/8 inch x 1/16 inch) fall and don't know where it belongs to. Doesn't anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-14, 04:14 PM
A small ring where? Inside oil pan? On job site? Metal? Rubber?
I always RTV pans.
120 inch pound? Are you sure? I bet you busted gasket. I can't tell you, how gentle I am with gaskets. For one, I do not buy cork gaskets, only rubber ones. Next, I finger tight bolts, and then give a gentle tap, as in - tap - on bolts heads with socket wrench. I do it twice, as bolts self loosen as you tighten them in criss cross manner. But 120???? Of course, I might be confusing foot pounds and inch pounds, yet...

Old 07-13-14, 09:41 PM
It is a metal ring. I was in front of car and saw it fall at close to flywheel side right after I took off oil pan.
When you RTV pan, do you apply on both sides of gasket? After apply RTV, do you install oil pan right away, or let it dry before install, or hand tight oil pan to cam and wait 24 hours before tighten bolts?
Yes, it is 120 in-lb and it is equivalent to 10 ft-lb. Haynes manual says 120 in-lb and some manuals say 10 ft-lb. The gasket I bought is from ITM Engine Components and is one piece rubber gasket. I tighten bolts according to manual and is in criss cross manner. I first tighten them to 95 in-lb, then 110 in-lb, finally to 120 in-lb twice. I started engine and drive right after install gasket. I saw oil drip from front side near center of gasket right after I parked car and engine is hot. I tighten all bolts to 127 in-lb twice and oil drip gets better. It only has 3-5 drops. Should I need to re-install gasket again? Can this gasket be re-use again?

Old 07-14-14, 09:06 PM
Ok.... Too much tightening to my tyaste, be honest... I learned my lessons, I basically hand tight bolts.
Here's food for thought. It's an old pan. If it's not true on the lip, it'll leak. The only way to find it is to place it upside down on piece of glass and have some light turned on inside. Watch for light shining through where lip does not mate flush with glass.
You can gently hammer it all back to flush.
Also, old gasket materail tends to stay around bolt holes and on engine block mating surface.
Bu do clea with metal brush, razor if needed, degrease and use compressed air. I do apply transparent coat to pan lip, place gasket over it, and let it sit, till it catches. Makes it much much easier to place back. Does not slide all over everywhere.
Yes, I do cover gasket to block side with thin coat too.
If it's not warped pan lip, then you overtightened it. Or, engine block is not true. Or some junk stayed on the pan.

Old 07-15-14, 10:01 AM
I just ordered a new gasket and it is FEL-PRO brand. I am going to re-install it this weekend. So, what is this metal ring and where it belongs to?

Old 07-15-14, 06:35 PM
Road junk picked somewhere? Who knows? As far as it is not "prrrreeeeessssshhhhhcious one"....
If it's a vital part, it'll show itself. Can't tell, how much loose parts I have left after repairs and cars still run somehow.
Post a pic of it maybe here? Photobucket only, they won't let you use anything else.