Remanufactured Alternator

Old 07-14-14, 11:24 AM
Remanufactured Alternator

I need to buy an alternator for my 2008 Acura MDX and am considering getting a remanufactured AC Delco alternator (334-2692A). I found a few online that vary in price from $185 to $250, so I'm questioning whether they are all created equal. The one for $250 (Rock Auto) says it comes with new bearings, bushings, brushes, and voltage regulator, and the one I found on eBay doesn't specify, but the part number is the same. In general are all remanufactured AC Delco alternators refurbished at an AC Delco factory or is this not always the case. BTW, both of these prices include the core charge, so the one on eBay would end up being about $120 after I return the old part.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-14, 11:49 AM
Update: I contacted AC Delco directly. All remanufactured AC Delco alternators are refurbished at the same location(s) and to the same standards. In that case, I'll go with the cheaper one.

Old 07-14-14, 12:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What kind of warranty comes with them? I tend to keep vehicles for awhile so I always look for the lifetime warranty.

Old 07-14-14, 12:50 PM
Update: I contacted AC Delco directly. All remanufactured AC Delco alternators are refurbished at the same location(s) and to the same standards. In that case, I'll go with the cheaper one.
All of the alternators that AC Delco rebuilds may be done at same place, but not ALL AC Delco alternators are rebuilt there. There are many companies that rebuild them. Not all are rebuilt the same either, the one with new bearings, bushings, brushes, and voltage regulator would be a better bet in my book because a lot of rebuilders only change the parts that are needed to get it working again they don't all replace everything inside.

Old 07-14-14, 02:15 PM
I have had excellent results using lifetime warranted remanufactured alternators from Remy International, the folks who make Delco Remy alternators and starters. The last one I bought came from Carquest about 7 or 8 years ago. Advance Auto, O'Reilly and I think Autozone also sells them. If I needed to change an alternator, this is the one I'd want to buy regardless of where I bought it. There is a definite difference between rebuilt and remanufactured.

https://www.remyinc.com/About-Us.aspx

Old 07-14-14, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
The difference in price could possibly have something to do with the output. I noticed that when I recently got a rebuilt alternator for my F-150. There were several that "fit" my particular engine but some were 95 amps, some were 130 amps. Just FYI, Advance Auto parts website is currently running a pretty good deal for online purchases.

Old 07-14-14, 06:58 PM
I guess time will tell. Anything is better than what I have now--a non-functioning alternator.

Old 07-15-14, 04:20 PM
Did you just replace the timing belt on this car? If so, I'd double check the alt. connections (1 ring term and 1 dual wire plug IIRC).

Old 07-16-14, 07:20 AM
Haven't done the timing belt yet, but I will check the connections as I am removing the old one. The alternators are a known issue with the Acura MDX (and other models).

Old 07-18-14, 05:27 PM
The alternator came yesterday and I put it in last night. Looks brand new, and best of all, the vehicle is no longer running off the battery.

Old 07-18-14, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
nice job...they don't like to run very far off a battery that's not being charged... do they?

Old 07-20-14, 02:13 PM
No sir, they sure don't. I just put a brand new battery in it a week prior so I'm glad I didn't wait.

Old 07-20-14, 06:37 PM
Did you go with the AC Delco unit you mentioned earlier? Does the paperwork or the box say Remy International anywhere on it, in fine print maybe?