1991 Chevy Caprice 5.0L - A/C Controls Question

Old 07-15-14, 07:36 PM
1991 Chevy Caprice 5.0L - A/C Controls Question

I am in the slow process of restoring this car ( belonged to my late Father ) . The A/C is one of those chores .

The controls have a bottom lever that goes from cool to heat . I think this has a mechanical cable that operates a blend door ?

There is a vacuum operated " hot coolant " valve , under the hood . I am guessing it is also operated by the bottom lever ?

Looking at a diagram of the control unit shows a double hose that , if I recall , is labeled as going to a water valve .

When I move the bottom lever , I hear a noise that sounds like it may be a blend door opening and closing . So , at least the blend door may be working correctly .

There is also an upper lever on the control unit that goes from max A/C on the left to defrost on the right . It seems , no matter what position that lever is in , part of the air is coming out the defrost vent & part coming out the dash A/C vents . Some may also be coming out the bottom heater vent ? Have not checked .

So , this control is not working properly .

The diagram of the control unit shows a 5 hose connection , which I figure are 5 vacuum hoses ?

Before I start messing inside and under the dash , I wish to verify that I truly do have good vacuum going to the control unit . Does anyone have a drawing / diagram if the vacuum system for this car ? And I would appreciate info on where the source vacuum line for the A/C controls , plug in to receive engine vacuum ?

Any other info or tips would be much appreciated . :-)

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 07:56 PM
should be simple to find the black neoprine (might be rubber at this age)line coming from the motor to the passenger fire wall. lots of times the follow the heater core lines in. or look for it tied into a wire harness. also might be found just by looking under the glove box. also if its still there there should be a vacuum diagram on the hood.

Old 07-15-14, 08:08 PM
Do not see a diagram under the hood . :-(

God bless
Wyr

Old 07-25-14, 03:30 AM
Hope to get back to the Caprice this weekend . Had to replace the A/C compressor on Wife's car , last weekend .

Do not appear to be getting engine vacuum to the control system in / under the dash . Hope to run a temporary vacuum lune to under the dash & continue trouble shooting .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread