2007 Pontiac Torrent code p0404 EGR

Old 07-24-14, 02:09 PM
2007 Pontiac Torrent code p0404 EGR

Today my wife was driving and the Strabilitrak error came up, it has happened a few times over the years but today it did not clear. She got the oil changed. Then on the way home later in the day the SES engine light came on.

I just got out my Bluetooth code reader and with android torque app found the p0404 code is set.

Anything they could have done or bumped while changing oil to cause this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-14, 05:05 AM
An update in case info may be useful to others... I removed and cleaned out the EGR valve using carb & choke cleaner. Put it all back together and cleared the codes. Few hours of driving later the SES light came on, now with P0404 and P0405.

I bought a new EGR valve for $87 and installed it last night. Hopefully that does the trick. Guy at Autozone said newer electronic EGR valves aren't cleanable... the cleaner damages the position sensor.

Old 07-30-14, 04:48 PM
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low

Is your EGR sitting atop of a long tube going to TB? I had to clean same code on son's Mazdaspeed, so it requires to clean not just the valve, but to take apart half the engine setup on that side, to get to about 1 1/2 f long tube, to clean it. It was indeed seriously plugged with soot.

Old 07-30-14, 06:09 PM
a low flow code p0401 is a restricted intake passage.P0404 or p0405 would be either sticking egr pintle or carbon on the egr seat.The guy at auto zone apparently has not worked on vehicles a lot.the 3 wire pontentiometer and 2 wire solenoid is insulated.I usually take a small screwdriver and clean the beveled seat area where the egr pintle rests of any carbon deposits and spray some carb spray there.i also push up on the pintle up and down and see if it sticks.there are ways to test the solenoid operation and also the pontentiometer with a dmm and a jumper.can also test for egr flow.lots of times you can correct problem by cleaning seat area and if pintle is not sticking.hopefully there is not a wiring issue......if light comes back on you know there is.
need a good scan tool to read codes relating to the stability control.
if light was not on before oil change then may be a wiring problem.time will tell.

Old 07-30-14, 07:49 PM
Harbor Freight sells decent OBD2.CAN/BUS/ABS scanner for around $140. ABS will be your stability, it all goes through ABS module.

Old 08-04-14, 06:28 AM
The new EGR valve solved the P0404/P0405, not too bad at $87 and very easy changeout on the Torrent. If anyone knows of a GMLAN Single-wire CAN tool with Bluetooth (Torque app compatible), let me know :-)

Stabilitrak is still coming on every day so guess I'm gonna have to go to the dealer for that :-(