Light Scratches in Chrysler Clearcoat

Old 07-26-14, 06:51 PM
Light Scratches in Chrysler Clearcoat

I posted a thread a week or so ago, looking for a product I used to be able to buy in a tube that worked wonders on auto finishes that had even some pretty bad scratches. I think it was called XR 7 or something like that but I can't find it anywhere. Someone suggested 3M Finess II so I ordered some. Followed the directions and even used a wool pad electric buffer. Didn't hurt anything but it didn't touch these scratches. I even got another 3M product from a buddy at the body shop, but it was about the same as Finess II as far as I could see. It didn't work either. There must be something out there I don't know what to ask for?

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-14, 07:38 PM
Yes. Elbow grease starting with 1200 grit wet or dry, progressing to 3000 grit, finishing with clay bar. LOTS of water and VERY GENTLE touch.

Old 07-27-14, 05:36 AM
Clear Coat Sratches

I'll track the paper down as you suggest. Easy does it, lots of water. I will let you know!

Thanks!

Old 07-27-14, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
You might want to fill the scratches first, then rub off the overfill. Sanding or buffing down to eliminate the scratches will drastically thin the clear coat around them.

I just did that with some scratches on wifeys brand new Kia Soul when some guy in an RV cut a corner in the parking lot. Luckily it was on the plastic bumper, so no chance of rust. I filled with color coat, used the 3M Finesse to take off the excess. Going to do another color coat, buff off, then do the same with clear.

Old 07-27-14, 04:11 PM
I think the rule of thumb, pun intended, is if finger nail tip catches on scratch, it has to be filled, otherwise, it can be sanded. Clear coat is quite thick actually.
OP, they sell packs of the above mentioned paper in parts stores. Around $8. Just SERIOUSLY check the grit before grabbing one, as it starts at 600 I believe, goes through 800 and so on.
Don't ask how I know.

Old 07-29-14, 06:19 AM
try quixx available at walmart. Quixx Repair Systems | Rated #1 Automotive Paint Scratch Remover, Headlight Restoration Kit, Wideshield Wiper Cleaner and Scuff Remover | QUIXX-REPAIR SYSTEM | Makers of the Rated #1 Automotive Paint Scratch Remover, Headlight Restoration Kit, Widesh Rated #1 Automotive Paint Scratch Remover by consumers,watch videos on their site.I used many places on my trailblazer and worked great.rated number 1 by consumers.I think it cost me 15 dollars for kit.