1956 Evinrude 5.5hp 2 stroke outboard

Old 07-30-14, 01:04 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool 1956 Evinrude 5.5hp 2 stroke outboard

Hey all just bought the above motor for my fishing boat. The fellow I bought it from dry ran it for bit to show me that it worked. I returned home, put the prop in about 6 inches of water from a tote and ran it. It seems to run fine but as I increased the throttle white smoke appeared accompanied by a horrible burning smell. It automatically stopped and would not turn over. I am a auto mechanic by trade and I know a seized engine when I see and smell one. However, after letting it sit for a bit the engine turned over smoothly and actually started a bit again. So, I'm not exactly sure things are at a complete loss yet.

Does this engine need to be put in deeper water to keep it cool while running?

Can someone explain the white smoke. I'm assuming the seals were burning or it was burning accumulated junk out. it has been sitting for several years.

Someone please tell me all hope is NOT lost yet.
Thanks!

Old 07-30-14, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I had a '55 10 HP Johnson for quite a long time. Best small engine ever for a small fishing boat. Remember the oil concentration for that engine is twice that of your weed eater. I believe it is 25:1. Running it light on oil may be causing the slight seizing. Your pick up vanes may be deeper than 6". If you have access, use a 55 gallon barrel for testing, or a lake.

Old 07-30-14, 04:36 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Dry running it burns the water pump impeller up.

Old 07-30-14, 08:45 AM
D
Yes sir. I don't think it was sitting deep enough in the water. I'll sink it deeper like in a trash can. if the prop still turns is it still working?

Old 07-30-14, 08:50 AM
D
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that!d
I found on the engine 1/2 pint oil to 1 gallon gas mix. The guy I bought it from put weed wacker mix in it. So I can probably try to mix it a little heavier. Like I said, I hope it's not dead.

Old 07-30-14, 09:36 AM
F
Dry running a water cooled outboard is a huge no-no (even for just a few seconds). Doing so will ruin the water pump seal. Bad water pump = little or no water circulation = seized piston(s) and/or head gasket failures (if applicable).

You should also test run the motor in water that's at least half way up the shaft. Otherwise you risk cavitation that can feed air to the water pump.

Btw, white smoke is often attributed to water entering the combustion chamber(s).

Old 07-30-14, 09:47 AM
D
if the prop turns is it still workable?

Old 07-30-14, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The prop will turn in neutral to some extent. It is due to the fluid circulating. Does it go into forward and/or reverse?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: