Acura Bolt/Nut Replacment

Old 07-30-14, 09:43 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Acura Bolt/Nut Replacment

I'm going through some service items on my '08 Acura MDX and the service manual is riddled with "Replace" this bolt and that bolt, this nut and that nut. Is this really necessary? For instance, the manual says to replace the pinch bolts and nuts on the struts when performing an alignment (the bolts are adjusted to alter the camber), and the the total cost is $45 for four nuts and bolts. It also says to replace two nuts on the rear control arms when adjusting the toe. Thankfully, they're only $1 each, but still. What's the deal? Another example is I just had both front control arms replaced, and it says to replace all the mounting bolts for a grand total of $50. Ridiculous.

Old 07-30-14, 09:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My old man worked at an Acura dealership for 12 years and several members of my extended family own Acuras and I have come to the conclusion that if $50 here, $250 there bothers you, an Acura is not a car you should own.

Whether they actually need to be replaced I cannot answer but it does not surprise me they are telling you to do so.

Old 07-30-14, 10:11 AM
M
It doesn't bother me now and then, but I just bought this vehicle two months ago and have put almost $1,000 into it fixing little annoying things (timing belt/water pump, alternator, battery, P/S pump, control arms, hands-free module, sway bar links) and replacing all these nuts and bolts just adds to the pain. It's all hitting me at once so it's a little overwhelming. I'll be glad when it's actually running the way it should.

Old 07-30-14, 10:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Yeah, I've been following all of the issues with this vehicle including when you were talking about having driven down to get it. It is a six year old truck so it's not a surprise you had to do some work but it seems like quite a bit; like the previous owner didn't do much in the way of maintenance and repair.

Old 07-30-14, 12:28 PM
M
like the previous owner didn't do much in the way of maintenance and repair.
Precisely. He provided a few recent service records from the dealer, but they were mostly for oil changes and I noticed he declined several services. If I wouldn't have just traveled 150 miles with a bank check in hand, then I wouldn't have purchased it. I keep telling myself that even after spending nearly $1,000 getting it back in shape, the total cost I have paid is still significantly less than what I would have paid if I got it from a dealer.

Old 07-30-14, 01:46 PM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Those fasteners may be torque to yield items https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=torque+to+yield

Old 07-30-14, 01:57 PM
M
Interesting. Some of the hardware they say to replace are nuts though. Some of them say they are "self-locking" nuts, so maybe the teeth wear down when removing them, which is why they need to be replaced?

Old 07-30-14, 04:44 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Pinch nuts? Makes sense. Though so un-Japanese. But isn't MDX made in the USA?

Old 07-30-14, 05:57 PM
M
Acura MDX is made in Canada.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: