What lugnuts are these and how to remove them?

Old 07-31-14, 12:51 AM
What lugnuts are these and how to remove them?

So my car has a 4 bolt pattern wheel using these rare lugnut shape (it has 8 grooves or ridges around the lugnut).

I don't have the lugnut lock to unscrew them and remove the wheel.
Could anyone help me identify what lugnut lock I need to remove these lugnuts? What is it called?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-14, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
here is the web site for the wheels, A 12 sided socket might fit but they might be special nuts.
Wheel Landing | HRE Performance Wheels

Old 07-31-14, 04:33 AM
These lugs come standard with aftermarket wheels. Gorilla Automotive products makes the tool you need. It will look like this:

http://autoplicity.com/products/1477223-gorilla_automotive_1921sdkey_small_diameter_lug_nutkey.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=1477223NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GSNOFITMENT&adtype=pla&kw=&utm_term=&adpos=1o2&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw0ueeBRCmhozc-_DRrlUSJABihBEEIKCDTxkC-148Q2LDgCv31NF9UMsRM4eBH3pOy2WYLRoCSC_w_wcB.

One end fits a standard socket and the other fits the pattern of the lug. Not sure if this is the exact one you need--its the first one that popped up in my search. Go to there website. Could be one tool fits all. Not sure.

Old 07-31-14, 04:47 AM
Go to Gorillaauto.com and click on "Replacement Keys". Then scroll down to "small diameter keys". One of those black keys should work.

Old 07-31-14, 05:13 AM
ok, I'll check that site out. Any chance something like this would be sold on ebay?

Old 07-31-14, 05:17 AM
Just wondering, they all say the name HEX after it. Does that mean they only have 6 grooves/splines? Mine has 8. Are they 8 splines or just 6? Not sure 6 would work on mine?

Old 07-31-14, 07:19 AM
Yes, I'm sure ebay would have it. I noticed the "HEX" in the description, and I'm pretty sure they are referring to the socket end (the end you put your lug wrench on). The other end (that mates with the lug nut) is universal I believe. If you want to be on the safe side, just order a wheel kit, which will come with the tool. Like this one: Gorilla Wheel Install Kit Black Lug Nuts Lugs Lugnuts Tuner Socket Style | eBay.

Be sure to contact the seller before placing your order and let them know your vehicle make and model to ensure you get the right ones. Looks like they're called "spline lug nuts". Most of the tools I've found are for 6-spline lugs. Looks like yours are 8-spline. Unless you can find an 8-spline tool, you may have no choice but to get a new wheel kit.

Old 07-31-14, 07:25 AM
Maybe this one would work: 1 Mcgard 8 Spline Tuner Car Lug Nut Installation Tool Key New 65100 | eBay

...or you could pay $20 more and have all new shiny lugs with tool included.

Old 07-31-14, 05:40 PM
Thanks, I'll contact them and send my pics just to confirm if they have the right ones to fit my lugnuts.

Old 07-31-14, 05:49 PM
BTW, what is this? 8 Point Tuner Lug Nut Tool Key Spline Fits Female Lugs 7899K for Small Lugs Cars | eBay

it looks like the exact same 8 spline as my lugnuts only I dont know how this would fit onto my lugnuts as they seem to be inside out (instead of 8 splines going in, it looks like 8 splines on the outside).

Old 07-31-14, 07:18 PM
Thats not the type you need. You need the one that I sent you a link to (McGard)

Old 07-31-14, 07:23 PM
I contacted the ebay seller and he said that the information i gave him (17mm head, 60mm around) was not enough to know whether or not his McGard 8 spline key would fit my lugnuts. I asked him, what other information does he need to know?

Old 07-31-14, 08:51 PM
Ebay seller responded after seeing my pics and said mine is more curved splines and his mcgard probably won't fit, so it's a no go.

Old 08-01-14, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I noticed the grooves in the key looked a little squared off. That's unfortunate. I'll keep looking. Maybe you could get the old ones off using this tool, then buy a new wheel kit for $40, which will come with a key.

Gator Grips Universal Socket

The Mcgard key is worth a shot IMO. It's only $6. You may need to tap it on for the square splines to fit over the rounded splines on your lugs, but that shouldn't be a big deal as long as you can get it back off. In other words, if you have to bash the crap out of it to slide over, I would stop. You may even be able to file the squared splines on the tool so it fits your lugs. I would give it a shot.

Old 08-01-14, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you try to connect with wheel manufacture? They may have the proper key.

Old 08-01-14, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
I'd just take it to a shop. They have the proper drive on sockets to remove odd and rounded off lug nuts. Bring them what you want installed or let them provide, you'll probably be out the door for $40 or less without all the jacking, squatting, and lifting trying to DIY.

Old 08-04-14, 06:58 AM
Thanks, yes I agree with you moss. I think i want to replace these lugs anyways with something a lot more common and simpler so damaging them slightly while trying to remove them isn't a concern to me...I've decided that I'll just visit a "tuning" store and see if they can remove them for me.

I'll keep you updated after on how things went. I plan on going tomorrow or the day after.

Old 08-06-14, 12:55 AM
thankfully the tuning shop i went to had the exact 8 spline curved wheel key to remove my lugnuts! So that's fixed. I ordered an entire set of OEM lugnuts so I won't have to deal with these rare lugnuts anymore (they were getting rusty anyways).

Attached Images  
Old 08-30-14, 11:41 AM
Mossman said it! The are gorilla lug nuts. Some will tell you they are a "locking" style or a "keyed" style where you need the specific socket for the lug nut not just a generic... they do make them like that but these all appear to simply be the generic tuner lugs. A problem you will run into and the typical reason "tuner lug nuts" are used is because the hole in the wheel is too small for an OE lug nut... well there may be room for the lug nut but there will be no room to get a socket onto the lug nut. I think you may actually need to get more of these lugs if you want to keep these wheels. Good luck.

Old 09-02-14, 05:49 AM
Got them changed a while ago now. All black OEM lugs, stock woo hoo!

Attached Images