headlight cover

Old 08-01-14, 04:16 PM
headlight cover

Hello
My car was in the shop for a repair to the front end and the headlight cover which dulls with age seems brand new. Perhaps it is but if not, how did they clean it to look like new?
Thank you
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-14, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
There are many products and methods to polish headlight lenses. Body shops do this all the time.

You can buy DIY kits at auto parts stores, but they are pretty labor intensive. You might ask the body shop if they could buff the other side if that's your concern. Some will do it for a minimal fee if any at all.

Old 08-01-14, 07:11 PM
The lens? Or, they simply broke it and replaced at no cost to you. Is the reflector inside also new? The shiny mirror part?

Old 08-02-14, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm also thinking they replaced it. Depending on size and popularity they vary a bit on price. Yrs ago I hit a deer with my wife's merc and had to replace the driver's side headlight. There was so much difference between the old and new I wound up replacing the other side also. They were $110 each, last Christmas I replaced both lens on my stepson's jeep and it was only $65 for the pair.

Old 08-02-14, 05:18 AM
I do not know if they replaced it but that would be my guess.
I guess it was not their job to polish the lens but it leaves my car looking odd. I will call my adjuster and see what can be done.
Thank you.

Old 08-02-14, 05:55 AM
Did the shop only replace/renew one headlamp cover?

Old 08-02-14, 07:56 AM
lenses

Thank you all.
I have contacted my insurance company but the existing claims dept. was closed on Saturday. I will request their help as I feel like David and Goliath with the auto body shop.
The reps so far have agreed that the lenses should look alike as the discrepancy is vey obvious.
I saw a tutorial where tooth paste was used but I am not doing that.

Monday I will speak with "existing claims" as they are closed now, and ask for their support in getting the auto body shop to make the lenses look the same. I don't care if the replace the old to look like the other, if they still have it.

Search this Thread