1998 Ford E-350 gasoline and propane fueled

Old 08-03-14, 10:37 AM
1998 Ford E-350 gasoline and propane fueled

My van has 115,000 miles and the check engine light on. I have had it for the last 6 years and have never ran the van on propane. I have a computer reader and the codes that it reads are P1151,P0171, P0174, and P1132. I have looked up all codes and have done a couple of things to try to fix the problem like clean the mass air flow sensor and throttle body. When I start the van up it will sometimes shut off immediately while shaking and shimming. If it is turned off and started again while being warmed up, it wont shut off on me. It will sometimes shake and hesitate while idling, but these are the only symptoms that I can see and hear. I do smell an excess amount of burning fuel outside of the van sometimes as well. The van is not overheating and runs fine other than the things I have listed. I know these codes can mean a number of different things could be wrong but I was hoping that somebody could give me good advice on where to start.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-14, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Those codes all indicate an overall lean condition.
Is this problem occurring on gasoline or propane ?
Is this a factory conversion ?
Is this vehicle in the States ?

If you are running it on propane and are getting these codes then it sounds like the pressure regulator is set too low. If that is the case you'd need to contact the modification company for a checkup.

Old 08-03-14, 10:56 AM
Like I said in the original post, I have not ran the van on propane since I have owned it which has been 6 years now. This is a factory conversion and yes it is in the states. I know that the codes are saying a lean condition but that could be from to much air or too little gas getting to the right place. I just didn't know if this was a common problem for this vehicle and if there was a common fix.
How do you test a faulty EGR valve?

Old 08-03-14, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Actually your next step would be to check the fuel rail pressure. I've had many Ford vans and have been thru several fuel pressure regulators.

Old 08-04-14, 10:28 AM
When looking at the fuel pressure regulator, I heard a load leak and found the problem was the hose that connects the PCV and intake was dry rotted. After fixing that, no new codes have should up and all symptoms are gone. Thank you for your help.

Old 08-04-14, 11:02 PM
Group Moderator
You heard a vacuum leak. Yup.... that'll do it too. Glad your repair was a low cost job.