Power Steering System Bleeding

Old 08-08-14, 01:50 PM
Power Steering System Bleeding

I installed an A1 Cardone remanufactured P/S pump on my '08 Acura MDX yesterday evening and it is very noisy when turning the wheel. There are also air bubbles in the reservoir. After installing and adding fresh fluid, I started the vehicle and turned the wheel lock to lock several times. However, I paused at full lock for about 20 seconds each time. I thought I read somewhere online to do so, but I'm just realizing today that maybe that was a mistake. It doesn't make any noise at idle, just when turning. I plan on buying a Mity Vac pump this evening and seeing if I can get all of the air out and am praying that that fixes it.

1) Could I have damaged the pump from just a few times of holding at full lock for 20 seconds?

2) Is it okay to start the vehicle with vacuum applied (20 to 25 Hg) or should I have the key in the ON position only? I've read conflicting statements saying never to start the vehicle with vacuum applied and other saying it's okay (A1 Cardone says to keep engine off). A1 Cardone also says to prime the pump first, which I didn't do because I didn't realize this until today.

3) Is this a valid procedure for a Honda/Acura? http://www.rockauto.com/info/Atsco/2...structions.pdf

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-14, 07:58 PM
I picked up a Mity Vac pump from HF and will try that first. Hopefully the noise will subside once I get all the air out.

Old 08-08-14, 09:11 PM
Go to about minute 18.
Pay attention - his wheels are up in the air, UN WEIGHTED.

Suspension and Steering - Eric The Car Guy- Stay Dirty!

Old 08-08-14, 09:42 PM
theses are bad about the o-rings on the pump in and out. if they dont seal they can suck air in but not leak out. id try replaceing them. this sytem is a very easy bleed(fill/start /fill). aslong as its
sealed.

Old 08-09-14, 03:45 AM
If after pumping several cycles it doesn't hold vacuum, I'll suspect one of the o-rings isn't seated. When you say "these system" you're referring to Honda/Acura vehicles in general?

Old 08-09-14, 05:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mossman, unless you object, I am going to put all your power steering threads together. No need for a new thread with each thought.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...pump-shot.html

Old 08-09-14, 08:05 AM
That's fine.

Update: vacuum bled the system and no more noise! Mity Vac saved the day!

Search this Thread