97 Pathfinder --- brake fluid leak @ right front wheel

Old 08-11-14, 07:45 AM
97 Pathfinder --- brake fluid leak @ right front wheel

Hiya
My preferred mechanic is in Alaska for the next week and I'm not.
This is the vehicle that tows the trailer and I need to go to the dump!
Wondering semi-idly if it's a repair I can make.

I figure first question is to identify the problem. Any way to eyeball it, or do I want to disassemble wheel and brakes? (I think I can Google out instructions for that).

I am handy but have done little work on cars. If it's a mechanical-physical disassembly-assembly sort of thing (as opposed to an internal combustion sort of thing), I'm probably competent. Will take admonishments on that supposition, tho', as it's brakes we're talking about.

Thank you.

denno

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-14, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The first step is to identify the source. Check the brake line from the back of the wheel towards the brake master cylinder. If the line is the problem, you can probably fix it. If the line is good, pull the wheel and inspect the wheel cylinder. If it is leaking you will either need to rebuild it or replace it with a rebuilt caliper.

You will probably need some tools specific to the brake, knowledge of how to proceed, and a second person to bleed the brakes after service.

Old 08-11-14, 09:24 AM
Okay, thanks. I'll see what I can see. But by the time I get anywhere, the mechanic will be back, probably bragging about the 50 pound cabbage he caught.....