How to build a mini tarp garage?

Old 08-16-14, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to build a mini tarp garage?

I'm looking into options to build some sort of mini tarp/tent for my car.

Just a little background, where I live, there is no garage, no parking space
or anything like that. It's pretty much just park wherever you can find
spot in the town. Due to the lack of rules, people are pretty carelesss and
reckless when it comes to how to park, where to park, and whatnot.

I was told that I might be able to use a certain "area" as my own and if I can, then I might want to build a cheap tarp tent. Not sure what it's called but
basically I think it works like this. You place four poles vertically in the shape
of a rectangle (the shape/length of a car) held down by either tires or some heavy
barrels filled with water or dirt.

Then just swoop over a giant sized tarp (any color but most common ones I've see are often blue). Maybe I'd have to tie the tarps well to the poles in case on rainy days I wouldn't want all the water to cave it in or simply have the tarp drooping down in the center.

If anyone has some experience or knowledge about what I'm talking about, I would be very appreciative if you could give me some ideas (maybe better ones) as to how i can go about building it properly?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-14, 07:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
While I don't know much about them, I've seen the store bought canvas carports both for sale and set up here and there along the roadside. I think they have metal tubing for the framework and a tarp that snaps in place. IMO that would be a lot simpler than trying to construct something from scratch and probably wouldn't be much more in cost.

Old 08-16-14, 07:19 AM
your idea sounds much better! Any idea what it might have been called?

Are they just called canvas carports or is there a name of the actual brand or product?

Old 08-16-14, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
I keep a blue or silver tarp over a work area I have that has no shade between my shed and house. Tarps only last about 6 months before the get damaged from sun.

Old 08-16-14, 07:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Ca...#ProductDetail

..................................................................................................................................................

Old 08-16-14, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have one that I have used for several years as a shade for displaying items at trade shows. It also covered my pickup while I repaired AC. It has gone fishing and gone to family reunions. I got it from Northern Tools. Harbor Freight also has them. I have a 10' X 20' that uses 6 posts to support interlocking frame and the tarp goes over that snubbed down with bungee cords.
These things demand a very good anchor to prevent blowing away in wind. I use long 'dog chain' tethers screwed into ground and attached with 1" nylon winch straps.

RR

Old 08-16-14, 08:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
Here's a link to another one - 10 ft. x 20 ft. Portable Car Canopy

Old 08-16-14, 08:17 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
$170 Costco. About same Sam's. My Ridgeline is inside of one as I type. Survived 2 seasonal storms. No major anchors, but I have large concrete blocks tied to corner posts.
Tarp is cheap and starts falling apart from the sun UV year 2. Roof piece simply developed runs and tears. Frame is still good, so I slowly cover torn areas with a large tarp tossed over the wounded area. I'll build formal shop/garage anyway, so I'll patch it for some time.
It is likely last a bit longer in shade.

Old 08-16-14, 09:34 AM
wow thanks. These are all great links and ideas.
I'll definitely look into this option. I just need to verify that I can be
allowed to set this up as I don't have my own property here but maybe
I can use a piece of land or even "rent" out space like paying for
parking space per month. I just remembered someone in town has one
of these carport tarps. I should go and talk to them and see if i can find
something local as I am not in the states and there's no walmart here.

Old 08-16-14, 12:58 PM
My honest opinion is "roof only" carport is waste of money. What exactly does it do? Creates some shade for the car?

Old 08-16-14, 09:00 PM
100% agree urbyk. For other things, that would serve nicely as a canopy or something like vendors and outdoor parties, but for a car, roof only seems pointless.

I am looking for one that covers all sides as well as a roof. Thanks again for your recommendations. I now know what to look for.

Old 08-17-14, 03:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
I have to ask, what's to stop someone else from parking in your spot/under your shelter if it's on public property?

Old 08-17-14, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
I was going to offer some suggestions but is your location Canada as your profile suggests or are you in a warmer climate where snow is not a concern?

Here, roof load is a big concern as they can not support any snow at all.

Old 08-24-14, 06:30 AM
oh, not in Canada now, but you are right, the snow load or even rain load is something I should be wary of. Maybe there is a tarp roof that sort of goes in a triangle angle so everything just falls down?

And for tow guy's question, good question. Well I need to first see if I can actually find a little space of my own maybe on private property but pay the owner a small monthly rental fee (ie. 40 bucks a month or whatever) to use that spot. Then I don't think anyone could park in there since I won't be on public property.

If it's on public property, I guess the only thing I can do is put up a sign on the tarp tent that this is RESERVED PARKING or something and DO NOT PARK lol. If they don't listen and park, I can do what everyone else does around here and that is scare tactics or threat tactics lol. Someone smashed my windshield probably because they didn't like where I was parking even though it was public lot.

My first choice would obviously be to find a private own lot and just see if I can work out some deal to set up a small tarp tent for my car and then pay like a monthly rental fee.

Not entirely sure yet if I can even do this but just some ideas to toss around.

Old 08-24-14, 07:58 AM
I have the 12x20x8 version of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuWaKqKSgQo

Have had it for over 5 yrs and it works quite well. I'm near Windsor, On Canada

Old 08-25-14, 04:27 AM
Looks nice! I think that's a lot more than I need as my car is a compact car. I didn't think about it either that I may need a helping hand to set one up even if it's a smaller than this. How much was that? It looks pretty expensive.

Old 08-25-14, 07:50 AM
I paid $329 for it on sale (they are often on sale at CTC).
I was going to get the 10x20x8 (my brother has one) and he suggested I get the 12x20x8. I'm glad I did as the extra foot on each side makes opening doors a lot easier.
The front door zips open/closed easily and this shelter has protected my Uplander van from rain/snow/leaves/birds etc very well.