2003 Accord engine block coolant drain bolt location

Old 08-17-14, 08:18 AM
Question 2003 Accord engine block coolant drain bolt location

I have a 2003 Honda Accord, 4 cyl 2.4 liter engine with manual xmission. It is time replace my coolant first time after 10 years. The official Honda shop manual says it is enough to drain the coolant via the radiator drain on the bottom as well as empty the overflow reservoir (yes there are details like setting the heater to max heat, let the engine cool etc), and refilling with new coolant. On the other hand, the Haynes manual has some added steps, like also draining from the engine block drain bolt and flushing the system, not mentioned in the Honda shop manual.

It seems to me that in order to do a complete job, I should also drain the coolant from the engine block and flush the system. Normally the Haynes manual has good pics of part locations with an arrow pointing to the part. However, in this case, the manual doesn't tell me where the engine drain bolt is located. Can someone tell me the location?

Anup

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-14, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know about Hondas, but on a lot of 4 cylinder engines, it's going to be generally between cylinders 2 & 3 about midway up between the oil pan and the cylinder head. Could be front or back side. I don't think I have removed a block drain in decades (including my wrecker); when I'm renewing the coolant I drain the radiator and refill.

Old 08-17-14, 12:41 PM
It is time replace my coolant first time after 10 years.

It was likely time to do that 5 yrs ago ....

Do what the "official" shop maual says. Haynes often have serious errors/mistakes in their info.

Keep it simple and do it more often.

Old 08-19-14, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your replies. I'll keep it simple and will just drain and fill, following the instructions of the Honda shop manual. I didn't do it 5 years ago because the instructions say it should be done at 10 years or 120k miles. I don't have have 120k miles yet but 10 years are up.

Anup

Search this Thread