12V Inline fuse with #6 wire

Old 08-22-14, 08:55 PM
12V Inline fuse with #6 wire

I have to install an inline fuse between a battery charger and and the actual battery in the manual the recommend #6 wire since the cable length will be between 12 to 17 feet all depending what route I will run the cable. I bought the inline fuse socket I believe it's a gauge 10 wire.

Question 1: Can I wire a bigger gauge wire to a smaller gauge? fuse holder is #10 and the wire to be used is #6

Question 2: how the heck Am I supposed to butt a #10 to a #6 the biggest butt connector I have seen on the market is 10-12 (yellow)

Would just soldering the 2 wires be enough? I know it's recommended to have a mechanical connection and soldered.

I did a test with a #8 wire that I have and solder it to the #6 wire. Not the prettiest job it's extremely hard to make a nice joint.

So what are my options???? Just use #8 to #10(fuse) with just soldering or #6 to #10 with crimp/solder But I've looked a at few place and nobody seems to carry #6,#8 for butt joining 2 wires together. I'm in Toronto I looked at Canadian Tire, some car parts near by my house and nothing. Tomorrow I will try Princess Auto

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-14, 09:19 PM
having the smaller gauge will act like a fuse its self and most likely melt before the fuse pops if there is an issue. is sodering to the fuse holder an option?

Old 08-22-14, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
You could wire nut them together also. A big blue/gray combo.

In the link below is really what you need. A little pricier than what you picked up but will work much better. It uses set screws to hold the wires connected.

In Line Fuse Holder | Princess Auto

Old 08-23-14, 11:08 AM
in the manual the recommend #6 wire since the cable length will be between 12 to 17 feet all depending what route I will run the cable. I bought the inline fuse socket I believe it's a gauge 10 wire.
No where have you said how many amps the fuse should be. What does the manual suggest?

Old 08-23-14, 02:07 PM
is that for a glass fuse? Not that it matters but there's nothing in the description

Old 08-23-14, 02:11 PM
That's what I did I solder the 2 leads together but I was reading that it needs both. Crimp first then solder the crimp.

Old 08-23-14, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... it takes a certain size fuse called an ANL fuse.

Old 08-24-14, 04:32 PM
Make sure whatever size fuse you use is rated no higher than the smaller gauge wire. In other words, whatever the ampacity of the smaller wire is, that is the maximum fuse you would want to use. Any higher and you risk burning up the wire and creating a fire hazard. Its also a good idea to over size your wire when possible such that the maximum current rating of you wire/fuse combination is slightly more than the highest expected charging current. Otherwise you risk blowing fuses unnecessarily.

Old 08-24-14, 06:14 PM
Make sure whatever size fuse you use is rated no higher than the smaller gauge wire.
That was exactly my point, but the OP ignored my question on what size fuse was recommended by the manufacturer.

No where have you said how many amps the fuse should be. What does the manual suggest?

Search this Thread