Removing clearcoat without completely destroying the paint...

Old 08-24-14, 08:13 AM
Removing clearcoat without completely destroying the paint...

Okay. I have a 1994 Ford Tempo that I'm getting in shape for my stepdaughter to start driving back and forth to school. The clearcoat is missing in many spots, and blistering where it still remains. I would like to have the car repainted before too long, but in the meantime, I would like to remove all the clear and still have reasonably nice looking paint. I've been wet-sanding with progressively finer grades of wet-or-dry, with decent results, but by hand it's going to take a LONG time. Is there a way to get it done more quickly without ruining the appearance of the paint underneath until I'm ready to invest in the new paint? As always, any/all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-14, 08:38 AM
Okay. Generally a base coat/clear coat paint requires a clear coat to bring out the gloss and provide protection for the base coat. If you want to remove just the clear coat all I can think of is sanding.

Old 08-24-14, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sanding down the failing clear coat might make it look better but it's not feasible to just remove the clear coat.

Old 08-24-14, 12:04 PM
Short answer to long question is - no.
And your effort is pretty much useless, as where clear coat peeled off, paint changed its shade anyway. As the result, when you paint it in patches, it'll clear show. If you prime it and paint in patches, it'll show. Unless you are EXTREMELY good at color match paint mixing.
MAACO does not charge that much for full car job.