Hyundai air conditioner compressor

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-25-14, 06:30 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,685
Hyundai air conditioner compressor

the A/C compressor has become very loud. It still makes plenty of cold. what is the risk of the compressor seizing up and destroying the serpentine belt and whatever else would go with that? Is it a good risk to keep driving the car? What are the chances of destroying the belt vs. just losing the compressor and getting hot in the cab?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-25-14, 06:36 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 43,439
Is the noise in the front of the compressor, near the clutch or internal to the compressor ?
 
  #3  
Old 08-25-14, 07:40 PM
iceman681's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 434
50-50 just unplug the compressor
 
  #4  
Old 08-25-14, 07:47 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,685
Noise seems to be in the compressor. Shop put some kind of lubricant in the system. It helped. I'm worried about wrecking something if it seizes up.

If I unplug it it won't make cool. I still want the cool.

If all that happens is it quits working nod the clutch on the compressor lets the belt keep turningI would just be hot until I replaced it. I don't want to be stranded because of a broken belt or worse. Any way I can assess the risk?
 
  #5  
Old 08-25-14, 07:51 PM
ukrbyk's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA/ Pacific NW
Posts: 3,208
Like Eric The Car Guy says, 85% of compressor issues is in clutch. Personal experience is same. Clutch bearing goes 1st. And it can make a lot of ruckus. Not saying that yours is not in the other 15%, everything's possible, but statistically speaking....
Yes, it will tare serpentine belt when seized.
 
  #6  
Old 08-26-14, 04:41 AM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada (near The Motor City)
Posts: 597
If you have the engine running and turn the a/c off does the noise quit?
 
  #7  
Old 08-26-14, 11:51 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,685
Yes, the noise quits when I turn off the AC and when the car is idling and the AC cycles off it stops. It might stop when driving at higher speeds too but there is enough other noise I can't tell
 
  #8  
Old 08-26-14, 01:59 PM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada (near The Motor City)
Posts: 597
Time for a new compressor. No easier way out.
 
  #9  
Old 08-26-14, 04:29 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,685
Thank you all for your help. It will be replaced tomorrow.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'