Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench

Old 08-28-14, 01:44 PM
Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench

I bought a IR 231C pneumatic impact wrench earlier this year and it does the job, but it seems to wobble a lot once the fasteners are loose. This is especially noticeable when removing lug nuts. Once the lug nuts are loose, it isn't a nice and smooth motion the rest of the way off, it's a wobbly motion. I'm using a deep impact socket, so perhaps this is the cause? The anvil spins true with no wobbling motion when free spinning without a socket, but when a socket is on there and it's under load, it wobbles a lot. I've even seen tiny metal fragments flying off the lugs when removing lug nuts. I'm worried that I'm going to cross thread the lugs when removing the nuts.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On lug nuts are you using impact sockets? Are you using 19 and 21 MM sockets or 3/4 and 13/16 sockets. Most lugs are 19 and 21MM And it will make a difference. I have simular gun and never had that problem but i retired from Auto 15 years ago.

Old 08-28-14, 03:01 PM
Yes, deep impact sockets. I believe the lugs on my MDX are 21 mm, but I'm not positive.

Old 08-28-14, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a worn socket, you really need to use impact sockets! I bought some cheap ones at harbor freight yrs ago and they still work fine.

Old 08-28-14, 05:26 PM
I'm using Craftsman deep impact sockets, brand new. Maybe an SAE size will fit better. I'll give it a shot.

Old 08-28-14, 07:20 PM
"I'm worried that I'm going to cross thread the lugs when removing the nuts."

That is impossible to do.

Old 08-29-14, 06:25 AM
That is impossible to do.
I wouldn't say impossible, but unlikely, sure. I was exaggerating. I did see metal shavings flying though.

Old 08-29-14, 09:03 AM
How could you "cross thread" something by loosening it ?

Old 08-29-14, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shaving coming off when loosening are these chrome lug nuts, If so most likely chrome peeling off.

Old 08-29-14, 11:39 AM
I'm wondering if you've ever used an impact wrench before on a regular basis. I say this because it seems to me like you might be making the mistake of running it "full throttle" while spinning the nut entirely off of the stud.

Try "blip-blip-bliping" it off (i.e. trigger on for second or two - trigger off - trigger on for a split second - trigger off until the nut reaches the end of the stud.

Also keep in mind that there is almost always a fair amount of "play" between the impact square drive output shaft and the socket square input hole (i.e. more than your average non-impact driver and socket).

Btw, please make sure to wear proper eye protection whenever working on your vehicles. And also make sure that you're using impact sockets on that impact wrench.

Old 08-29-14, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
it seems to me like you might be making the mistake of running it "full throttle" while spinning the nut entirely off of the stud.
Now that sounds plausible You only need to hold the trigger down for as long as it takes to break the nut loose. The odds are centrifugal force will finish the removal but if it doesn't a short burst or two will.

Old 08-30-14, 05:51 PM
I'm wondering if you've ever used an impact wrench before on a regular basis. I say this because it seems to me like you might be making the mistake of running it "full throttle" while spinning the nut entirely off of the stud.
Yes. That is what I was doing, but not intentionally. Using small blips helps, and so does using a regular depth socket. All is good.