1990 Honda Accord Suddenly Stall

Old 08-29-14, 10:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1990 Honda Accord Suddenly Stall

1990 Honda Accord LX, 4Dr, AT, 250,066 miles. Under normal drive and slow to prepare to stop at traffic around 10~15 mph. Car suddenly stall. The first time it happened was two days ago while slow for bump at shopping center. However, car can be start immediately and drive as normal. Today, I drove on highway ramp to merge into highway (down slope) and prepared to stop for red light. Car suddenly stall again. I pulled my car over to the side. I tried to start the car. The first 2-3 times it started and stalled immediately. The 4th time, it started and I can drive it as usual to work. Both stalls happened around 9AM after ~25 minutes drive if this matters. Anyone has any idea of what would go wrong? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 08:26 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
1. ignitor
2. coil
3. entire distributor
4. ignition lock

Read more:

Starting Problems

Old 08-29-14, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
sounds like an idle air issue. did the battery die or has it been replaced recently? could just need the throttle plates cleaned. could also be a vacuum leak. 60% of the time its the idle air control motor getting sticky,to where only replacement will fix it.

Old 08-30-14, 09:39 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
They do not have idle motor. They have Idle Air Control Valve, which is operated by coolant running through it. Sometimes it gets all clogged, just like any plumbing does over the years.
But sudden stalls and then temperature related restart issues is COMMON high mileage Honda issue and is always related to ignition/coil/ignitor.

Old 08-30-14, 11:57 AM
Next time it does it, and it DOESN'T start right away for you, crack the throttle open a little with the gas pedal. If it starts right up you know you have a sticking IAC valve. Cracking the throttle will allow the engine to breathe when the IAC valve is not opening.

Distributors are VERY common on these hondas

I also am not sure how far back honda used them but the PGMFI relay is a VERY common stall causing item, typically this does not cause a stall but restarts concern, typically it causes a stall, tow it to the shop concern. but it is a relay and it could allow better electron flow by turning off and resetting those contacts with the key cycle.

Old 08-30-14, 05:50 PM
The 1st thing comes to my mind is ignition switch. I had this part changed 5 years 10 months ago using after market part. It had 59K miles on it. The previous ignition switch was from original and used it for ~19 years with 191K miles on it. The symptom of original switch failure was that I can start engine right away, but stall immediately if I let key go. If I start engine and hold key in II position (starter keeps engage), engine won't stall. This after market ignition switch acts a little differences. Although it stalled for the first few times, other times works like normal. Is it about to go bad with contacts inside switch? Want to get opinions from other experts who have this type of experiences.

Old 08-30-14, 06:03 PM
Yesterday on the way home. It stalled again on the street. I cranked and it started and stalled immediately. I started and hold key at crank position, engine keeps running. This is similar problem like I had with ignition switch failure before. Then, I used right hand to hold key in crank position to drive home. This morning I took off ignition switch and take it apart. There isn't anything obviously bad, but I know it must be contacts problem. I soldered all flat contacts and put everything back. Car can be started right up and running like normal. I will drive it for a few days and post back if it still stalls.

Old 08-30-14, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i forgot about the ignition switches on this car. how many keys are on you key ring? what could be happening is the force of stopping is making the keys swing and losing contact in the ignition switch. bad switch.

Old 08-31-14, 07:13 AM
I believe the fuel pump relays caused problems in these vehicles as well.

Old 09-02-14, 10:45 AM
I only has one key which is car key in my key ring and key ring is alarm remote control. I think it makes sense that ignition switch contacts would go bad after years of use. It is the matter of the life between stock part and after market part. I don't know about fuel pump issue in this model of car, but I haven't had fuel pump issue for almost 25 years.

I drove this morning and didn't see any problem. I think the problem is fixed and it is ignition switch contacts. Hope this will help others.

Old 09-02-14, 11:19 AM
Hondas have fuel pump relay issues. Good luck.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...uel+pump+relay

Old 09-02-14, 11:41 AM
Yes, it also called main relay. I thought you meant something else. I had main relay issue before and I changed a new main relay to fix it.