PT Cruiser brake issue

Old 08-29-14, 11:24 AM
PT Cruiser brake issue

Hello,

I have a 2002 PT cruiser. I have changed the front brakes ( pads and rotors) myself several times since 2002. The last ones I changed probably 2 years ago. Something came up about a month ago and I haven't had a chance to look into this so please advise what you think this could be. It seems there is a metal sounding popping noise from the right side when braking. It is there when driving and coming to a stop and also if you are sitting in park or neutral and apply pressure to the brake pedal there is a series of mettalic pops throughout the pedal travel. Then the other day a squeek has developed when coming to a stop. The squeeking though doesn't sound like when the pads are getting low and wearing down to the indicator. I am wondering if this is a caliper issue or something? Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Caliper sticking either on pins or pads where they slide in mount. NY most likely due to rust.

Old 08-29-14, 08:29 PM
Buy can of brake cleaner and clean rotor and brake pads. You have glazed rotor and pads, resulting in squeak. Will last about few months, then squeak will come back. The only fix is to rough sand rotors with orbital sander, sand pads, and IMMEDIATELY bed pads to rotor.