Wipers sometimes do not shut off on Nissan Altima

Old 09-07-14, 02:58 PM
Wipers sometimes do not shut off on Nissan Altima

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, 285k miles

Wipers will not shut off when switched off, sometimes going for a few extra wipes to several minutes.

I replaced the motor 6 months ago while I was replacing a broken bushing. However....I am pretty sure this motor acts differently than the last. I believe that after this sends the wipers down(like on intermittent), it makes them jump up about 3/4" of an inch(like they are resetting). Not sure if the original motor did it, or if it is normal or has anything to do with this.....I do not recall the original motor doing this but not 100% sure.

When running through an automatic car war, as the main brush runs up the car and hits the wipers(pushing them up), this will trigger the wipers to run a cycle even with the switch lever in the cabin off. I am sure I could trigger it myself, but have not tried. (edit, yes I can trigger them by forcing the arm up)

Should I assume motor is the issue here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-14, 07:52 PM
Really? No one, of the 120 views, has anything to add?

Old 09-20-14, 08:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not everyone is an expert on wipers. You get the views from almost everyone out of curiosity. Better that most just keep moving than to give you bad info. Not all wiper systems send the wipers to "park" when in intermittent mode. If they are moving without the control turned to on or intermittent, then it could be a compatibility problem with the new motor, or its parking mechanism.

Old 09-20-14, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Most wipers don't park when in intermittent.

I've noticed that there are many companies supplying "just like OEM parts" but fail short considerably. Your problem is in the motor unit where the switches are. The motor you put in should at least have a one year warranty. Exchange it for another.

Old 09-21-14, 05:21 AM
Where did you get the replacement motor?
Did you buy a new replacement or a used 2006 unit from a wrecker?
Why not ask the person who sold you the replacement if it is working properly?
Has the replacement unit been working "funky" for the last 6 months?
Why are you bringing it up now?

Old 09-27-14, 07:20 PM
"Why are you bringing it up now?"

Ummmm....because the problem started happening NOW. Why else would I bring it up?

The motor is what i would assume a rebuilt from Advanced Auto, as they ask for the core.

"Why not ask the person who sold you the replacement if it is working properly?"

Because I want to be sure what is actually causing the problem. Make sense?

Old 09-27-14, 07:23 PM
Thank you, PJMax.

I will do so. Was not sure if this issue would have been elsewhere, as I am not at all familiar with wipers/relays that control them.

Oddly....it has not done so since.

Old 09-27-14, 07:27 PM
@Chandler

While I understand that....going 2 weeks with that many views is a little irritating. I am not new to forums, one would think they could at least chime in.

I am leaning towards the motor being the issue, though it has stopped doing it....knock on wood.